Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

No Sign of Rut......YET

Old 11-03-2004, 05:51 PM

Default No Sign of Rut......YET

I was out hunting tonight, I rattled in a monster of a buck, but he skirted my stand at 45yds, I am comfortable out to 40yds, he was a beauty, he has somewhere around 12pts. And I seen some does.

But on my way back from hunting, I drive through the field by my house on my quad, there are 2 does out there, spot them in my headlights, they keep looking back, soon a small buck with one side broken off comes up, not chasing, not even lip curling, and he goes and starts feeding by them, he was not interested in the CAN, or my Grunt Call, and showed no sign of a swelled neck or anything! I live in Northern IL and I thought at least by now might see some chasing, guess not though!

My friend reported the same kind of hunt on his farm, bucks and does feeding together in large groups!

Anybody seen the RUT going strong yet?
Old 11-03-2004, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: No Sign of Rut......YET

I live in east central IL and saw a mature buck following two does into a harvested beanfield tonight just before dark. Unfortunately I wasn't hunting ,I was driving into town. Big bodied and what I would guess to be a 20'' inside spread had me drooling. I saw about a dozen other does with no buck in sight at other locations. This is the first mature buck I have seen interested in does. I think the most wonderful time of the year is quickly approaching. And i'm not talking about Christmas.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:19 PM

Default RE: No Sign of Rut......YET

Maybe the reason this buck I saw in my field did not chase the does was because he looked about 1 1/2-2 1/2yrs old, definently not a Mature buck. The big Mature buck I seen tonight seemed much more interested in the calls then the small buck!