Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Maryland Bow Hunters Question Help

Old 11-02-2004, 02:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Maryland Bow Hunters Question Help

They should be trolling a little but the RUT is NOT on yet. Give it another week. I saw 3 nice bucks one night last week. Two were together and in a hurry to get into the uncut corn. One was a REALLY big racked, heavy horned piebald. I haven't been back to hunt him. I put Mdbowhunter on him for this afternoon. Maybe he'll get a crack at him. The other buck of the 3 was paying close attention to the 4 or 5 does in front of him. They didn't like him all that much. The closest any of them got to me was 51 yards.. Next week late.... look out for running bucks. I usually set my clock for 10-14 Nov. and it seems to always be right.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

Well around here on the shore, I think Its just starting. Last week seen a nice rub that had just been hit. This week theres 3 rubs in a line and a scrape. The bucks are laying out their teritory. I think it needs to get a lil colder for it to really get going. Ive noticed over the years it usually happens in the first 2 weeks of nov. But with this weather like its been might be the middle of nov. I went tonight and seen 3 nice doe but it was hot and they didnt get up out of bed until dark............ to warm
Old 11-02-2004, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

Good news went out this afternoon saw a doe in a hay field at 5:00 stayed for 10 mins then went back in right before dark looked out into the hay field and saw a big bodied deer working toward me as it got closer I tryed a doe bleat and the deer turned and walked out of the field into the woods toward my stand got 15 yards away I looked through my binoculars and saw it was a nice six point I went to draw and I could see my peep but not the deer it was to dark so I let him walk he had his nose to the ground I think it is okay to say the rut is close. Thanks
Old 11-02-2004, 07:28 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

They should be trolling a little but the RUT is NOT on yet. Give it another week. I saw 3 nice bucks one night last week. Two were together and in a hurry to get into the uncut corn. One was a REALLY big racked, heavy horned piebald. I haven't been back to hunt him. I put Mdbowhunter on him for this afternoon. Maybe he'll get a crack at him. The other buck of the 3 was paying close attention to the 4 or 5 does in front of him. They didn't like him all that much. The closest any of them got to me was 51 yards.. Next week late.... look out for running bucks. I usually set my clock for 10-14 Nov. and it seems to always be right.
Dave is right, the rut isn't on. Right now your seeing horny bucks. They are only tending the Does. The Does don't want anything to do with them. Next week it should be running bucks every where.

I will say there are too many deer. They will never kill them. Tonight, I had five 8 points underneath me tonight from the time I got in the woods. Pretty deer all about 18" spread. They all looked like they came from the same mold. Maybe next year they will be shooters.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:47 AM

It's not the "rut" yet but it's definitely the Pre-rut, the chase phase, the seek phase, whatever you want to call it it's here. My buddy shot a buck chaseing a doe last w/e during ML and I shot a doe being chased by a small buck last week.

That being said, went out this morning and zipped.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Yes it's pre-rut. The bucks are doing more tending then chasing. You can get a shot off now. Next week these guys are going to be hard charging running through the woods. It will be tough to shoot them or get them to stop. Not impossible though.

Good luck.