Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

(UPDATE) Where was this deer Hit..?? (UPDATE)

Old 11-02-2004, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Where was this deer Hit..??

Hang in there Mathewsboy! There is always someone thats going to give his unwanted advice[:'(] And unnecesary comments![:'(] Buy what you have sead it is most likely was a good hit. But i am thinking maby a gut or intestines is pluging the hole on the other side where the arrow came out? I have had that happen a few times in the past. First the blood comes out fast, Then all of a sudden it just stops? There most likely is more blood it`s just staying on the inside i doubt the deer ran very far, Try looking around water and thickets near buy. Good luck!
Old 11-02-2004, 02:28 PM

I know i'm not alone when i say this post upsets me. Not sure where your arrow hit but i would hope you would know better then me. Taking a shot in low light is difficult and sometimes a mistake. Other then avoiding doing this again try having white feathers, or vanes as it is much easier to see in low light as it impacts.
Old 11-02-2004, 04:31 PM

Did anyone who jumped on his case bother to first ask all the details? I don't think so. Like someone else said, He said it was getting dark, he said he didn't see the shot, and it was during legal shooting hours. Back up.
Ask a few questions at least to found out all the details before you cinch the noose around his neck. I don't post much but I'm tired of just that. People jumping all over someones case without asking for more details to make sure they know what they are b****in' about.

Hey, You said the arrow stuck in the ground about 5 inches? How hard is the ground. Its not too bad here but with a pass through on a doe this year that went only about 3 inches in. If that. I also notice that when I take a deer under 20 yards at about 20 feet in the tree my arrow almost always sticks nearly straight up outta the dirt. The arrow comes out and goes straight down. Anyone else have an end result like that? How was your arrow in the dirt...any nicks at all on the broadheads????

I've seen a deer hit in the lower front quarters that left an arrow covered in blood and very little blood trail. I had a buddy bowhunting about 125 yards from me that shot the doe and it ran my way and stopped rather close. I figured it to be a missed shot and took the doe. We could find almost no blood trail at all and the arrow was covered in blood where it went through.

Good luck dude...
Old 11-02-2004, 05:43 PM

I would be willing to say you gut shot him becuase his actions are typical of a gut shot deer they usually take off running when shot and stop then start walking. I would look around the thickest cover and also the water sources the acid from his guts will start burning his insides and he will be looking for something to cool it. And dont jump on this guy he prolly got excited when a deer comes in you forget what time it is he didnt say it was dark he said it was getting dark.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

Mathewsboy,
Don't listen to the negative remarks. We have all screwed up a time or two, just not all have admitted it. Sounds to me you may have hit back in the liver and gut area. I had this happen to me some time back and lost the blood trail completely after jumping the buck twice. I waited for 2 hours before going after him because of the blood on the arrow and the taint of gut. We ended up letting him lay over night and went out in the morning with 6 guys and combed the woods in the area the last blood was found and beyond. We ended up finding him in the thickest s%#t you could find curled up in a bed. If my cousin would not have walked right into him he probably would not have seen him. Get some friends together and go get him. Again don't let what people say bother you, we have all done our share of oops's and most of us learn from it. Good luck in your search. Wish I lived a little closer, I would give you a hand.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:30 PM
Typical Buck

With the speed of today's bows, it can be very difficult to see arrow impact. I try to alleviate it by using bright knocks and fletching, but sometimes I still don't see my arrow fly. That being said, let's get down to your dilema with your buck.
I think if the deer was slightly quartering to you, you may have caught the near side lung, and went through liver upon exit and may have caught the gut or clipped the esophogus on the way out. If that happens to be the case, I would for sure look around the crick you mentioned in one of your posts, as he'll be looking for water. I would look by the crick anyway if it's the nearest water source to where he was shot. I would also look for vultures, and or crows that may lead you to your deer. GOOD LUCK, and I hope you find him.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default (UPDATE) Where was this deer Hit..?? (UPDATE)

Well First of all, let me THANK the guys that stood behind me and didnt rag on me for taking what i guess some called a marginal to bad shot.. It was Broadside, SLIGHTLY quartering to me, i could still see my pin as bright as day, WITHOUT a LIGHT, i could see the deer, I had WHITE FEATHERS, a SHARP 100 gr Muzzy tipped arrow and it was about an 18 yrd shot.. I wont take that shot next time.. (HAHA)

Well, I FOUND HIM.. He's a 9 pointer, 18 inch inside spread and GOOD mass..

I shot him SUnday night and looked for the arrow after about 15 mins.. I found the arrow FULL of blood.. I left and came back alomost two hours later with two buddies. WE found GREAT BLOOD then it petered out. I told them, lets get out of here until tomorrow morning. I took a day off of work and was out looking just after first light. I looked for more blood but couldnt find any.. I looked at his line of travel and decided if this was a fatal shot, i thot he would keep going the way he was going, straight into the THICK SWAMP. I followed deer trails and easy paths through thick poop and looked in everything i could think of. NO DEER.. I looked for 3 hours straight. I left for the day and went home and thot about the shot and the arrow.. I kept telling myself. THIS DEER IS DOWN.. I couldnt get over the amount of blood on the arrow.. I came on here and posted the post that i did. THanks to some great people, i went back with added optimism and took my dad with me. I told him where i thought the deer had traveled and he went one way and I went the other. I followed the edge of a highway all the way down to where a creek crosses it. I then followed the creek edge, looking all over. I walked over a little knoll about 10 yrds from the creek, and there he LAY, DEAD.. He's my widest buck ever at 18". For a Gogebic County Buck, that is pretty DARN good.. After I found the buck and did my dance of Joy, I hung my Hat on his RACK and went back to meet my dad.. He never showed.. I started getting worried, he is 74 yrs old and thought maybe he was hurt. I started back into the swamp and finally heard him yell.. He FOUND MY BUCK TOO.. He was waiting for me there..(lol) He told me , "thats the first time I ever seen a Buck with an ADIDAS hat on his Rack!!"

What a Drag that was..1/2 mile from where I Shot him. But i wouldnt trade it for anything..
Persistance and YOU GUYS made this hunt a SUCCESFULL ONE.. Mikey S was dead on the nuts along with a couple other guys too... THANKS.. I owe you one..

Thanks AGAIN..

Mathewsboy..
Old 11-03-2004, 05:57 AM

CONGRATS!!!
Old 11-03-2004, 06:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: (UPDATE) Where was this deer Hit..?? (UPDATE)

Nice. So when do we get to see a picture?
Old 11-03-2004, 06:39 AM

Default RE: (UPDATE) Where was this deer Hit..?? (UPDATE)

Glad you stuck with it and found him. . . .I'll still rib ya though if it seems a bit dicy on a shot.

Congrats. . . .

Quick Reply: (UPDATE) Where was this deer Hit..?? (UPDATE)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.