Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

(UPDATE) Where was this deer Hit..?? (UPDATE)

Old 11-02-2004, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Where was this deer Hit..??

There are times in broad daylight that I have not seen the arrow impact and I have dipped arrows. Of course that is not the norm but it does happen.

As far as to dark to shoot goes, for me at least, it becomes a matter of, is it to dark to be able to see details on the animal? So with that in mind a twenty yard shot might be to far but a ten yard shot could be acceptable at the same time of day (legal shooting hours). It all depends on the circumstances at the time.

Something that is often over looked are the subtle angles. Those are the ones where the animal looks broadside but in reality is not. There are a number of deer that I have shot that appeared to me to be perfectly broadside. Upon recovery, some will show that they were obviously not broadside. The interesting thing about this is, almost never will the wound channel show a quartering away shot when this allusion happens. In low light the percentage of making a misjudgement on the angle of the animal and the angle of the entry and exit of the arrow climbs dramatically.

Mathewsboy, chances are you hit to far back. From your description, at best you got one lung. I doubt you got kidneys, because contrary to what a lot of people believe, kidneys usually bleed pretty good (and why wouldn't they, they have a direct vein to them to help cleanse the blood). You probably got liver and intestines. A shot like this doesn't always show stomach or fecal matter on the arrow. In fact I have witnessed where this has happened and you couldn't smell it on the arrow. Dark blood is the norm. Early good blood is also not unusual. However in most cases it is shut off by fat and the insides of the animal plugging up the hole. I have seen cases where eight or ten inches of "innards" are sticking out of the exit wounds upon recovering.

My guess is this deer will succumb to septic shock. As has been disgust over and over, many times the deer will bed within two hundred yards if not pushed. However, on more than one occasion I have seen an animal that has been hit in this manner, not pressured, still travel a half mile before he beds. Nothing is set in stone in this game. Many believe they go to water because of the fever associated with the wound. That would seemly makes sense if you think about it logically. However I have seen just the opposite in many cases like this, by at least a two to one margin. Crazy I know, nevertheless that is what I have honestly experienced in well over 100 blood trailing experiences.

Good luck, I hope you find him.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:21 AM

ill be honest and if i had to guess i would say behind the shoulder but high, i did that on a doe last year, found her a long ways away the nest day alot of blood for the first 50 yrds then A little to none, just red blood not dark not pink, found her and it was behind the shoulder and 2-3 inches under the spine
Old 11-02-2004, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes I can't see my arrow hit in broad daylight......
Wow, I would have thought you would have been able to see your arrows pretty good......almost like they were in............. s l o w m o t i o n[:-]
Old 11-02-2004, 09:33 AM

Wow, I would have thought you would have been able to see your arrows pretty good......almost like they were in............. s l o w m o t i o n

You must be mistaken me for one of those Botek guys
Old 11-02-2004, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm ruling out STomach. and MEat hit.. SO i guess I could rule out Above the spine, because of how much blood was on the arrow..It looked like someone dropped it in the a bucket of blood and pulled it out and stuck it in the ground.. I grabbed it and my hand was COVERED in blood... Blood started about 5-10 yrds after hit. Lots of Blood then the farther I tracked the less it became then after about 75 yrds it stopped completely..
Old 11-02-2004, 11:47 AM
Typical Buck

Someone else asked, but I didn't see an answer. Mathewsboy, how long did you wait till you started to track him? This is important. If he was quarting towards you, you may of tagged one lung and went out through the liver. He could live for an hour or so. I just had a mature doe do this last week. Did you happen to find a bed with blood in it? The grainy stuff you described on your feathers will come from liver blood. Liver blood will sometimes "splat" onto the leaves, almost like a small paintball splatter. Liver will have a mild odor to it also.

Like I said, the real key here is how long you waited to track him. I've jumped them out of beds an hour or so after hitting them, backed off, then found them pretty close to where I jumped them a few hours later. If you nicked the intestine on the way out, you may of lost the blood because stomach/intestine matter is clogging the exit hole. You may of got just enough intestine to do this, but not enough to show up on the arrow, or wipe the liver blood off.

Was there meat on the arrow with the blood?
Old 11-02-2004, 11:47 AM

A little tip or trick i use when tracking a deer use the positon of the blood drops to guide your shot placement. Look at the tracks of the deer, how far back is the blood from the front leg etc. Also look up a ways to the brush in the area (if there is any) how high up is the blood sprayed on the brush or grass. Study the tracks of the animal is it favoring a leg etc? When u find blood great but you also have to think about where abouts am i usually finding this blood? Through this process you should be able to figure out where the deer is hit.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well FIRST of ALL,, Obviously I COULD SEE THE DEER, or i wouldnt have shot.. It was a BIG 8 , the one I've been after.. So, don't worry, if you were walking , I WOULDNT SHOOT YOU.

Now, I waited over a 1 1/2 before I went to look for blood. When I couldnt find anymore blood, i made some circles and decided to go back in the morning.. It was dead Calm that night and I never head a Deer jump and run..

So I dont know.. No beds with blood... No meet at all on the arrow, and no tallow
Old 11-02-2004, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also, Do you think he'd cross a 4 lane Highway? The 40 He went towards butts up to a HIghway that runs east and west and a Creek that runs North and South..
Old 11-02-2004, 12:57 PM

You can hit high in boiler room and get little blood trail. Don't give up so easy. I see too many people conclude there is no blood trail too quickly if it is not an easy one.
I don't know where you hit the deer, but your description of deer, arrow, and blood trail is almost identical to a deer I shot once upon a time. Only difference is I saw my arrow hit, and thought I was too high and too far back from where I intended. I waited four hours before tracking and due to high hit, was only finding pin head size to maybe the size of grain of rice blood drops every 5 to 10 yards. It was hard to not get discouraged and want to quit and start grid search, but I stayed with it and 2 hours later I found deer about 125 yards from impact with a double lung shot that was stiff as a board due to a quick expiration. As mentioned many times before on this board, get down on your hands and knees if you are not finding blood easily.

Quick Reply: (UPDATE) Where was this deer Hit..?? (UPDATE)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.