Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Have you ever had this happen?

Old 11-01-2004, 09:51 AM

Default Have you ever had this happen?

long story!

Saturday eve. I climb into my tree. Well, about 45 min later I do my first rattling sequence. I immediatly have a nice 8 point come in. He is a bout 18 inch wide. He looks to be about 1 1/2 yrs old. I let him go even though he puts on a good show. 45 min later I rattle again, this time the 8 point comes back. 10 min later a big 10 point comes down the hill. This deer is a definate shooter. He would score 140 or so. He just skirts out of my range, never coming closer than 30 yrds. Its now too dark to shoot so I just wait out the deer until they leave the area. I climb down. As soon as I hit the ground, I hear leaves crunching towards me. I just hunker down behind my tree trying not to spook anything. They keep coming closer and closer. Finally I turn on my flashlight. There is the 10 point about 40 feet from me. He is stomping the ground, snorting, tearing up small trees. My flashlight doesn't scare him. Then he takes a big jump towards me. I crap my pants. He is about 15 feet from me. I start yelling like a little girl. The deer doesn't budge. I throw my backpack at him. He finally jumps back. I take off hauling some A** out of the woods. I ran through a thicket a beagle couldn't go through. This buck stays on the inside of the woods for the next 50 yeards until I make it to my truck. Call me a puss! But I was scared. I think this guy was wanting to fight.

Has anyone ever had anything like this happen.

BTW
sorry for the long story.
RBBH
Old 11-01-2004, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Have you ever had this happen?

Well i can say i never had that happen! I Don`t` know what i would have done? But throwing your back pack at him and running out of the woods? Now thats a classic.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:18 AM

Oh boy! I don't think I'd have hung around to wipe either. I've often though about this situation but luckily have never had it happen. Hopefully this bold creature won't be spooked by the incident and you can get revenge later.

Thanks for sharing. It's a great laugh
Old 11-01-2004, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

maybe it was a sasquatch dressed up as a deer for halloween
Old 11-01-2004, 10:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Oh yeah ,
it happened to me about 4 years ago . It's a real pants filling moment , especially when you suddenly realize that your muzzleloader is still in the case without a cap on the nipple ! []
Old 11-01-2004, 01:14 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-01-2004, 01:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wish....
Old 11-01-2004, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it had happened to me I don't think my post would have the same tone to it as your post does. But then again if it had happened to me, I don't think I would post about it because my story quite possibly would have ended just slightly outside of the confines of the law. I have a decidedly onesided record when it comes to mexican standoffs while possessing a weapon.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

That is a great story! LMAO
Old 11-01-2004, 02:59 PM

I did have some dominant buck scent on a scrape about 10 feet from the tree. I think he smelled that and not me.

I did shorten the story quite a bit. I just didn't want to ramble on with small detail after small detail. I have been nervous in the woods at dark before. I've been really close to coyotes and such after dark but was never really scared. Saturday I was truly scared. This animal did not fear me at the time. I did think about shooting at the animal, but I didn't know how I could get a shot off. It was very dark and I don't know how I could hold the flashlight and shoot. I just wanted out of there.

I plan on exacting some revenge on this animal in the next couple weeks.

thanks for the replies
RBBH

Quick Reply: Have you ever had this happen?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.