Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Have you ever had this happen?

Old 11-03-2004, 08:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Have you ever had this happen?

that is a good story, that definately would make you think......
i know its funny to talk about, but it was definately a pants messer at the time...
Old 11-03-2004, 11:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

OH yeah and it absolutely freaked me out too! To make a long story short, I stumbled onto a nice 10 pointer a few years ago at the edge of a cut corn field. Ground was wet wind was in my favor and it was the last day of bow so I figured what the heck I'll try to put a stalk on him. Anyway... after about 2 hours of creeping on this dude I'm finally closing in and get to 40 yards of him and he has no clue I exist. I was walking along the edge of the woodline the whole time. I get to 40 yards and there's a fallen down limb sticking out in the field. I need to get a little closer so I walk around this 6 foot limb in the field and just about to tuck back to the woodline and my pants hit a tusk of corn and makes a sound.
This guy swings his head around like the chick from poltergiest and is in an immediate stare down with me trying to figure out what the heck I am. I'm stuck in the fetal position trying my hardest not to move an inch. Well the staredown goes on for what seemed like 10 minutes. I start to lose my balance and strength in my legs from squatting for so long. So I move a little bit and for some reason blow the grunt at the same time. Now he's really pissed. He takes 4 hard stomps with his front feet and grunts back at me while lowering his head. OH S*&%!!!!! this aint good. He stands there another minute waving his head trying to figure me out still and I'm wanting him to forget about things and give me a broadside shot still...lol. Then he takes 3 BIG hops forward at me and stomps and grunts again. To heck with this I gotta let him know I'm a human or start running like hell this dude wants a battle. So I had enough and get in an upright position and go to draw. Not that I was going to shoot because he was dead straight on to me and 40 yards away, but more of a defensive position like if you keep this crap up you're getting one in the neck. He grunted 3 more times and I took 3 steps sideways and he finally bolted. But holy crap I was scared to death. The thing is it's the last thing you expect to happen I guess when you're in the woods. I kinda froze up during the whole thing trying to make sense of it at the time.
So I lied I didnt' make a long story short, but that's the story.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:50 AM

Never happened to me but for the record there are several hunters gored or killed each year by rutting bucks. I have seen a video on on of those shows where a buck was on his hind legs and stomping the hell out of a guy trying to get away. We all laugh and think it's funny but it is a real threat this time of year and we all should have a plan of action. I agree with one of the posters before that I intend to remain the preditor and if attacked I'll do my best to be eating that buck for dinner. No matter what shooting light there was. I guess I'd even tag him.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

LOL silentassassin!

I know someone who had a penned buck (permit and all), and said he doesn't go in the pen during the rut because it will come at him.