Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My first season bowhunting...

Old 10-29-2004, 06:38 PM

Default My first season bowhunting...

I decided to try bowhunting after a friend got me hooked on it. Tonight was my second time out. Went out about 5:30 pm to sit until dark(hunting from the ground). I did a little rattling and grunting and had a doe with a fawn come by about 6:20. She was the same one i saw my first time out, a little small for my liking. So i sat and watch them for a few minutes. They decide to head into the bean field which sits at my back. As soon as they get downwind from me, about 15 yds away, the doe snorts and they both bolt across the field out of sight. So i decide to sit for a little bit longer, grunt and rattle some, and i get up to leave at about 6:45 and see another doe in the field. I grunt a little at it, but it continues to eat. Then i hear a grunt come from the timber, and a nice little six pointer runs into the field and chases the doe. I grunt a little and sit tight, and the buck comes down the field edge about 20 yds away. He is downwind checking things out, catches my scent and heads in the opposite direction. I wasn't really planning on shooting, it was a little too dark and i didnt have a great shot. I've been using H.S Scent a way odor neutralizer, which i have come to distrust. This stuff puts off a worse odor than me, and i think it is spooking these deer. It doesn't have a cover scent, so i dont know if that is the problem or what. I know that being on the ground makes it a lot harder to conceal yourself, but i think i will trash this stuff. The odor it leaves on your clothes doesnt go away as it dries, and it is a very strong smell. Anyway, thats my bowhunting experience so far - looking at stands right now and trying to decide if i want to spend the money on one at this point in the season. I am definately hooked on the sport, and cant wait to get my first bow deer. I've been hunting shotgun season for several years so i know the feeling.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:53 PM

Default RE: My first season bowhunting...

Welcome to the wonderful world of bowhunting JStanley
Where are you from? You sure got me excited reading the story, so thank you for reinforcing my addiction to this fabulous sport[8D]
Again, welcome to the sport and forums
Old 10-29-2004, 06:56 PM

DOH! I see Avoca, Iowa ,,, Sorry didnt see it
Old 10-29-2004, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hang in there my friend. You will learn a lot just by being out there.

Personally I feel like the best scent you can have on is NONE. I like to keep my body and clothes as scent free as possible. It can't always be done but you do the best you can.

Yes hunting from the ground is not easy by any means, but it can be done.

Good Luck.