Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

jumped a buck "newbie bow hunter"

Old 10-27-2004, 09:12 PM

Default jumped a buck "newbie bow hunter"

The river bottom was flooded before, so this was the first time i walked these woods. I spotted a big 8-10 and before I got my bow ready he ran! up to me, and stopped and stomped behind a tree not offering a shot. He then ran off. I found a funnel that he ran thru. I also saw about 6 does there while coming back to put up a stand in the funnel. The river bottom was flooded before, so this was the first time i walked these woods. Do you guys think the big boy will come back. I found some scrapes less then 100yrds away n some nice sized rubbs. Do any guys have luck putting up mock scrapes in funnel areas to draw bucks in? What scents to use?
Old 10-27-2004, 10:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: jumped a buck "newbie bow hunter"

welcome and yes he'll be back, not sure were your from but during the rut he can't help but come back, on the mock scrapes they work better for me in an area that already has a scrape or two close by, i don't know if it just pisses ole big boy off or what, but in areas of little to no activity i had limited success, however it has brought in some smaller bucks, best of luck this season and again welcome.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes he will be back! And welcome to board!
Old 10-28-2004, 12:36 PM

Woo Wee ! Got your blood going i bet, I hope you get to see this bad boy again.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck getting him and welcome to the forums!
Old 10-28-2004, 02:31 PM

IMO it's not a bad idea to make a mock scrape in a funnel. Lots of deer probably use this "high volume area" and if "your" buck finds an intruder he's bound to check it out. I'd recommend setting up a scent dripper.

As for scent, I like the Buck Fever Synthetics. Everyone will have their favorites and I like the results I've seen sofar with the BF pre/post rut and the rut formula. I'm going to hang a dripper with Almost Stemin' Synthetics to see how that one works.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:23 AM

Welcome to the best web site on the web.!!! Its great having another hunter aboard. There is alot of wisdom here!!!!! Believe me i need all the help i can get!![8D]. Yes that buck will be back just be sure to get well hidden in the woods. Good luck
Old 10-29-2004, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome Bartz, I'd have to agree that the buck did not know what you were or he would have bolted right away. I may give him a few days to settle down because he may be a little cautious of the area for now. But I most definetely would not think that he won't return. Good luck, and post some pics after you get him.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

good luck bud
Old 11-01-2004, 05:21 PM

Default RE: jumped a buck "newbie bow hunter"(update)

Hunted my stand a week later. (saturday nite) The doe were bedded down about 200 yrds away from my stand and i spooked them on the way in, but decided to hunt my stand anyways. 20 minutes before dark had a small 6 walked right below me n never noticed me. Then a minute after season i was climbing down my tree, and heard a branch cracked looked up n here was the big boy walking the trail i thought hed be on. He never noticed me. Hoping to get a crack at him again this weekend. Have football playoffs so can't hunt during the week. My parents said they'd give me a day off of school to go out. Hunting in North Central Iowa what day do you guys think i should take off? within next two weeks?

Quick Reply: jumped a buck "newbie bow hunter"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.