Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Northern Bowhunters:How ya doing this year?

Old 10-27-2004, 08:04 PM

Default Northern Bowhunters:How ya doing this year?

Im from the mid Michigan area and am wondering how all my fellow bloodbrothers are fairing this year?I cant get out but 2 mornings and 2 evenings a week and I have only seen 1 doe and her fawn on stand. What a bummer. Dont know what it is but I hunt in an almost all oak forest of about 180 acres and I havent seen hardly any acorns which might be why Im not seeing anything. hard to pattern them.What about you guys have any acorns this year?Might also be taht because I shot 2 8 points last year they are all afraid of mebut I doubt it. I am getting discouraged wish I had 100 acres of farm land with 10 acres of oaks in the middle instead of this. Well let me know what ya think and how ya are doing.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:53 PM

Default RE: Northern Bowhunters:How ya doing this year?

Seen 3 doe being chased by a coyote.......
Old 10-28-2004, 12:06 PM

Seeing lots of deer out of range and not much in the way of acorns yet. The bucks are still in the fields or feeding at night. The rut should give us some pretty good action i hope.
Good luck and great shooting
Old 10-28-2004, 01:58 PM

I'm seeing plenty of deer, Just not a lot of bucks though. The arcons around here (Maine and New Hampshire) as well as other mast seem to drop very early this year. What fell in September is virtually all cleaned up now from what I see in the woods. It's too bad too, I was hoping to start some white oaks in the spring but am having a hard time coming up with acorns
Old 10-28-2004, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Up until this past Saturday I was seeing alot of deer traffic. Quite a few bucks but nothing legal in the WMU that I hunt in. The last 3 days I've hunted I've been skunked though. Nothing moving except the turkeys and squirrels. Maybe I'll get lucky this weekend since turkey season opens up.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:09 AM

Shot a really nice 8 pt on October 2nd, and passed on lots of small bucks; including one this morning that was a 3 1/2 year old 9 pt. Not seeing many does but the rut is in full swing.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:33 AM

SE Michigan here.

Last night saw 2 bucks. Does still together, bucks seperate and making scrapes and beating up the flora.

Chase should be on first week of Nov but the 70 degree temps aren't helping movement much.

First coldish (45 or lower) morning in November....be in he woods

It was the 7th last year that I didn't get 10 feet into the woods and had a doe run 5 feet from me and the buck chasing actually bumped into me in the dark. I saw 5 different bucks that day ina spot where I'd only seen 3 on all the previous hunting put together.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:02 AM
Fork Horn

Rain, rain, go away.......
Brian
Old 10-29-2004, 02:26 PM

Hunted the week of the 17th in the western U.P. Had 7 hunters in camp brought home 5 deer ( 1 4 pt buck & 4 does). As for myself missed one at 20 yd, arrow hit a twig and deflected the arrow I was focused on the deer missed seeing the twig. The next evening put a shot on the same doe I missed the day before. 20 yd broadside pin right behind her front leg shot felt good. It’s a long story why I couldn’t track that night (1 lantern in camp and had 3 deer shot that night) went out at sun raise pick up the blood trail found her or should I say what was left. DAM COYOTE’S!!!!!! Only 4 bucks seen by all the hunters for the whole week.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:52 PM

Conditions have not been ideal in MN. this season. Warm temps, mosquitos, rain, and east wind alot lately. Seems like when the wind is north or west the hunting is best and buck movement is better. Although I have seen some nice bucks and does harvested this past month. It seems spotty this year.

Quick Reply: Northern Bowhunters:How ya doing this year?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.