Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To Be,Or Not To Be??

Old 10-27-2004, 09:18 AM

Default To Be,Or Not To Be??

I have a ladder stand and within a 200 yard radius there are several deer trails. I initially set-up in an area where i could utilize this stand in both the morning and the night. Now while i am starting to look like the 3 stooges, moving this stand to areas where i see the deer, my latest move is into an area that is primo! Only problem is getting to this new locale is a ***** of a time in darkness[8D]. My question is to you guys = Do i go for it in the morning in total darkness, or should i change it back to the old set-up or do i just hunt it at the evening ???I really want to hunt it all the time, but i have to go down a funnel into a creek, cross this and then cross a high grass field.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: To Be,Or Not To Be??

Peronally, I limit my morning stands to easy access areas only. You will be walking in a prime time.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personally don't walk through the woods in the dark. I don't know how many times that I've tried to get to my stand before daylight and bumped deer on the way in. Now I still hunt my way to my stand and then set-up.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:31 AM

I have a similar problem -- but the deer seem to only move around here during mid day. I think I own one of their grazing fields where they just kinda pass the time. I have water and lots of apple trees, so they just kinda wander around during the day. The real problem is that until I found a new route to my stand, I had a horrible time getting in there remotely quietly.

I ended up taking my weed wacker with a brush blade down there and giving all the small saplings that make my life so miserable a little trim. Took the deer a couple days to resume their patterns, but now I can get in and out quietly... but alas, only seen two deer all season, so maybe I have to move it again!
Old 10-27-2004, 11:10 AM
Dominant Buck

I hunt when I have time. Before daylight savings it's easier to hunt evenings because of the late evenings with light. After the clock gets set back mornings offer more time in the stand.

As far as going and coming, I'm always kicking up deer. It can't be avoided. When I hunted my moms place i always sent deer scattering every morning in all directions. If I took someone new there they would be amazed at the herd going in all directions. It was so funny but unavoidable.