Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Steelforce + Bedded Buck = no blood

Old 10-27-2004, 08:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Steelforce + Bedded Buck = no blood

All great replies guys regarding shot placement, angle of higher entrance and exit holes, arrow path through the guts etc....all leading to a poor blood trail. Great job guys and lots of great advice.

I support and concur with the above posts and I'm not running for office.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was using the two blade head with the bleeder blades, have any of you guys shot deer with these and how was your bloodtrails
Only deer I shot with one, a doe, 15 yard broadside double lung from a treestand. Entrance hole higher, exit lower. Blood trail more than ample
Old 10-27-2004, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

the deer was slightly quatering towards me and the shot entered the deer in the shoulder crease and drove back through the body coming out right between the hund quarters,
upon filed dressing the deer, i took out the tops of both longs and the top lobe of the liver and through the guts, i just couldent believe that there was no blood, from where i shot him to where he crashed at
So many good knowledgeable responses I should probably just keep my big yapper shut...but of course I won't.

Wow, reading your description of the hit in your opening statement I would have never guessed you would get both lungs. If your entrance was behind the crease on the shoulder and ended up exiting between the hind legs I would call that a severe angle!

My response would have been something like, forget the blood trail, your not going to get much blood with a hit of that nature. It was a positive testimony to the design of the broadhead that it didn't deflect and either go down between the skin and the ribcage or just plain rake the deers side!

I'm not an authority on the Steelforce head, I have only taken two deer with them. However, I would say that the blood trails were quite adequate.