Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you guys think of this deer?

Old 10-26-2004, 04:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default What do you guys think of this deer?

I got 3 pics of this deer last week on cam. I saw him one other time on stand at about 400 yards. I normally won't take a deer of this caliber, but I really don't know if he will really ever make anything. I am working on getting good trophy deer in my area. Letting all the deer under 3 1/2 walk and culling all the genetic inferior deer out. I just am stuck on this deer, I don't know if I should take him out of the gene pool if given a chance or let him go another year and see what he does. My thinking is, if he is 2 1/2 he still has a little potential, if he is a 3 1/2 year old he probably won't make much of anything. You guys give me your opinion, sorry for the long rambling post.

Old 10-26-2004, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What do you guys think of this deer?

My money is on him being a good 2 1/2 year old buck, with excellent potential. Of course, opinions may very.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

That looks like a great deer to me and he doesn't look real old either. I would wait to shoot him but if he was under my stand I don't know what I would do. TUFf choices these days

Trap
Old 10-26-2004, 04:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Simple. If your not going to put him on the wall let him walk.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think he's mature yet. If that's the case, I'd let him walk. He should show some of his best gains in antler growth between 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 years. I don't think he's older than 2 1/2. I'd take a chance and let him walk, if he's not bigger next year, take him then. JMO.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:35 PM

The third pic suggests that the antlers are rather short on mass and palmation. I think he is the 2.5 yr. HNIJustin said he was too. Pretty healthy looking buck at that!

The question I always ask myself when it comes to management is kind of selfish I guess but... Is there anyone around me that is practicing the same management program? That is a nice buck and will be on the ground as soon as most gun hunters get a look. I don't say this to knock the rifle but as bowhunters we really do get a good look at our game before we take the shot. When you look through the lens of a 6-24x scope he will look better and get killed.

If I thought he was safe until next year I would cross my fingers and let him go pass his genes to a few more doe.

If there are better deer in your woods, I'd let him go.

If he is a pretty hot deer in your neck of the woods and the neighbors are on a different program, I'd dump him. Kind of selfish with a touch of real world mixed in.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:40 PM
Typical Buck

Let him walk! In a couple of years he will be a dandy!!!!
Old 10-26-2004, 04:42 PM

To me he looks like a very healthy young deer. Sure he may not be the massive 10 or 12 that everyone likes to shoot, but if he grows that 8 out...he'd be one impressive 8 in a couple of years. Just my thoughts.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Give him one more year
Old 10-26-2004, 05:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Going by the body posture, brisket, neck and chest I'd say his only a 2.5 year old as well. As for culling, that's up to you but at least another year wouldn't hurt him or your herd.

Quick Reply: What do you guys think of this deer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.