Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First Bowhunt for Buddy...11 Point Kansas Buck...PICS

Old 10-25-2004, 09:15 PM

Default First Bowhunt for Buddy...11 Point Kansas Buck...PICS

This is my friends first year and first day bowhunting when he shot this Bruiser! He has been a rifle hunter for over 25 years. He went to the woods with me last season and got to see why I enjoy bowhunting so much. We rattled in several bucks one evening and I shot a decent 9 point. Well, after that he decided to purchase a bow. He had been practicng all year, and couldn't wait till this season.

He obtained permission to hunt a peice of property next to where he lives in Eastern Kansas. This property has never had hunters on it and has some of the biggest deer I have ever seen. Anyway, Saturday evening was the first time we hunted this property after alot of prescouting and patterning. He set up at the edge of some timber next to a fresh cut corn field. About 1/2 hour before sundown this deer came in and began feeding. He says he watched him for 20 minutes before he slowly came within range. His shot this deer at 30 yards once he turned broadside. The shot was a little far back and low(In the Belly). He found his arrow, it had gone through the deer and had blood and fat on the vanes. He met me and another buddy back at the truck at dark and said he stuck a nice one. It was all we could do to convince him we needed to wait till morning to track him.

We went out the next morning, found blood for about 100 yards and it stopped. Later in the day he brought out his dog who picked up the blood trail for another 200 yards, then no sign. After looking most of the day Sunday...no luck. Well, after he got off work this afternoon he recruited a couple of his friends(I was still working) and went back to the woods where the trail stopped the day before. After about 15 minutes they got a wiff of the carcass and found this guy about another 100 yards away. The coyotes had tore into him pretty good, and he was stinking pretty good. They estimated him pushing 275-300 lbs.

Needless to say he is HOOKED on bowhunting. Talk about beginners luck!!! Sorry for the poor picture, they took some pictures in the woods, I took this one with my digital when I went to check him out.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:25 PM

Default RE: First Bowhunt for Buddy...11 Point Kansas Buck...PICS

Also we green scored him at 168 3/4.

Old 10-25-2004, 10:25 PM
Typical Buck

I've been having such a hard time bowhunting (no deer in 2 years) that the first thing I'd like to say is, NO FAIR! [:'(]

Now, I'll be a gentleman and say, NICE DEER (but not in big font!).

Seriously, that's one hell of a deer!
Old 10-25-2004, 11:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its a shame he was not able to recover the deer. I hope this bad experience doesn't affect his feelings about bowhunting, hopefully he can bounce right bqack and make a good shot on the next one!

Also, I can't get the picture to load, the page is blank.....
Old 10-25-2004, 11:34 PM
Spike

that is one nice buck. congrats on your buddy getting that deer. I am sure he is proud to have harvested that monster. Wish there were bucks like that around my place.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Great buck
Old 10-26-2004, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

Great Buck! Congrats to your friend. Has anyone ever told him he looks just like Greg Brady (a.k.a. Barry Williams)?
Old 10-26-2004, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not able to get a look at the pic ,but he sure sound's like a real dandy of a buck .It's too bad you didn't get to him before the coyote's got him .but i'm impressed that he never gave up on finding him .You's guy's deserve a big pat on the back and Congrat's .

nubo
Old 10-26-2004, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats!!!
Old 10-26-2004, 07:51 AM

I cannot see the pic......

Quick Reply: First Bowhunt for Buddy...11 Point Kansas Buck...PICS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.