Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How important are rubber boots

Old 10-25-2004, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How important are rubber boots

I have been wearing the same boots for the past three years and I think that I am giving off a foul odor. They are rubber around the botttom up to the ankle and brown like swade leather. I have been thinking about making a change to mid calf rubber boots, what are the benefits? I know that they may be cold when the weather changes but how are they with scent control? Any recommendations for a working man, style or maker would be great!
Old 10-25-2004, 10:03 PM

Default RE: How important are rubber boots

Rubber boots are all I use during deer season because they do not give off odor. I have a pair of Browning knee high boots in mossy oak breakup with 2000 grams of thinsulate. They are warm waterproof and scentfree, I got mine at sportsmanguide.com for about $50
Old 10-25-2004, 10:11 PM
Typical Buck

I have Winchester knee boots with 1800 grams of thinsulate.

They are warm if they are dry. If your feet sweat then I would get a good boot dryer as high rubber boot are tough to dry out otherwise. I picked up a Peet brand new on Ebay for around $25.00 shipped.

It works well and has a 25 year waranty!
Old 10-25-2004, 10:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Don't sweat the boots. All have rubber soles. Most screw up by stopping to get gas along the way to their hunting stand. They may also stop to get coffee or munchies while wearing their boots. This is the biggest no no. Who knows what your stepping in? Gas, oil, gum, mustard and so on. That's where the mistake is made. Don't you do it.

I want warmth over rubber everytime. Think about the big one in front of you with cold feet. If your feet are cold, your body is cold and you will be twitching. All recipies for disappointment.

Now before you go to the stand, grind your feet in the deer poop along the way. This helps to remove the above screw up. Before you climb, make sure your cleats are clean. Last thing you want is sh*t falling from your boots while in the stand.

Good luck.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:48 AM

I agree that rubber sole boots shouldn't cause a big problem for the ground you are walking on. But i prefer the rubber boots because often you are brushing up against grass, twigs etc higher up the boot. If you are worried about cold feet grab yourself a good pair of insolated boots such as baffins. I use rubber boots right till the end of November in the harsh cold here and my feet seem to stay toasty.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

I WEAR SNEAKERS STORED IN THE HORSE MANURE
Old 10-26-2004, 04:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Think about this for a minute :

What does rubber smell like ?

Ask the last buck that busted you .
Old 10-26-2004, 05:14 AM

Rubber may help with keeping the stink from your feet from getting out, if you cinch the tops real tight (not recommended). However, rubber itself has a very strong smell. My beagles can follow my tracks made with rubber boots, hours after I've made them. Not only that, they can follow that old boot track faster than a fresh rabbit track. Since deer supposedly have an even better nose, rubber must be very obvious to them. Whether they react to it, will depend on how pressured by humans they have received.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:18 AM
Fork Horn

I've got 900gr insulated Cabelas rubber boots, I think I bought them for about $30-40. They are great - sure different then the rubber boots of my boyhood. These are comfortable. I got an extra size bigger and wear wool socks. I can make it into November and then my feet get cold. I'd like to get another pair with more insulation. As far as sent free - you can scrub them down etc...but most important they contain your sent like a cup contains water. Also, Fieldmouse is right on. I store my boots in a plastic bin and only put them on outside of my truck! Newspaper crumpled up inside helps to dry them out - That's how they do it in England.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:30 AM

I just bought a pair of the LaCrosse boots. If I keep them in a tub of pine straw, will they still be scent free?

Quick Reply: How important are rubber boots

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.