Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How important are rubber boots

Old 10-26-2004, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How important are rubber boots

Zak,
they will smell like pine. It'll be fine as long as you are hunting in a pine forest.

I use rubber boots, but they aren't a cure all save all, you still need to be meticulous about getting scent on them. I've had deer and foxes cross my trail and not even blink over my scent. I've also had deer or foxes hit my trail and turn on a dime. I know then that I did something wrong.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Personally I don't wear rubber boots anymore. I used to wear them thoughout bow season, however, I do not like the sweat buildup that occurs in them. One of the hunter rules that I believe in is to stay dry, rubber boots seem to defeat this rule for me anyway. I would rather trade off the comfort that my Danners give to me. I can wear them all day long and not have a bit of sweat coming off my feet. As far as deer sightings or getting winded, I have not seen a difference at all.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:14 AM

It really depends where you hunt as to what you want your tracks to smell like.

I hunt mainly in horse / cow pasture. Before I go out in the horse pasture, I walk through the horse barn and get a little manure on my feet. Before I go through the cow pasture, I get that smell on my boots. It's okay to leave a trail, just try to leave a natural one.

Sweat is the worst for getting cold feet though. Look at some Muck brand boots. They are supposed to be really good. Also, you can just get a pair of rubbers (used a lot in farming) that go over your regular boots. They do have quite a smell to them when new though...

Zak - The pine works well if you hunt pine forests. But if you go into a hardwoods forest, the deer are going to wonder. Deer don't notice anything unless it's out of place....
Old 10-26-2004, 08:22 AM

I agree new rubber boots have a distinct rubber odor. I just don't know how alarmed deer are to that rubber scent and it the can put 1 and 1 thogether to figure out the smell is made by man. I use scent elimination on my boots, wash them and scrub them using warm water and baking soda. After a year stored in a rubbermaid container with an open box of baking soda I believe my boots are pretty scent free. I still keep them clean and mist them with scent eliminator every time before I head into the woods. I certainly thinl it's an advantage over leather boots which will "pick up" scents easier.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:32 AM

I've had bucks bust my trail using both rubber and leather. But much less while using the rubber. IMO, rubber is the way to go, just keep them scent free and you will be fine.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use rubber boots until the weather dictates that I switch to my (rubber bottom) insulated boots. I take every precaution with them and only use them for hunting. I have repeatedly seen mature deer--both buck and does--appear to be relaxed and unaware of my footpath in--even when they were nose to ground at times.

However, I've had my German Shepherd track me on more than one accassion directly to my treestand! [:@] He didn't see me leave, wasn't aware I was there and I had never taken him there before, yet he came in, nose down and trotting.

That makes me wonder whose nose is the best?
Old 10-26-2004, 11:07 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: DaveH

However, I've had my German Shepherd track me on more than one accassion directly to my treestand! [:@] He didn't see me leave, wasn't aware I was there and I had never taken him there before, yet he came in, nose down and trotting.

That makes me wonder whose nose is the best?
My bet is on the deer ,
dogs can't process 6 odors simutaneously , and the olfactory center of their brain is smaller in proportion compared to a deer .

Boy I miss TR's Tips ! [&o]
Old 10-26-2004, 11:37 AM

ORIGINAL: kevin1

My bet is on the deer ,
dogs can't process 6 odors simutaneously , and the olfactory center of their brain is smaller in proportion compared to a deer .
I think it depends. Most humans have a large "thinking" portion of the brain, but we can all attest that this doesn't make all people the same intelligence
Old 10-26-2004, 11:46 AM

Rubber boots work. Plain and simple. I even wear rubber hip waders to some of my stands that require me to walk through waste high grass. Deer no longer spook when crossing my trail. I believe deer can smell the rubber but it doesnt seem to alarm them.
Lacrosse alpha series is about the best ive used as far as comfort and warmth.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:10 PM

I have a pair of LaCrosse Alpha scent free rubber boots, but i am not sure as to how far that name will take you? But I always like to spray some red fox P on the soles of my boots before walking into the stand.

Quick Reply: How important are rubber boots

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.