Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Can someone explain

Old 10-25-2004, 01:09 PM

Default Can someone explain

I got to thinking about the concept of "Bedding" and "Feeding" areas and how they might apply to where I hunt. In south Texas the terrain is rather dense brush that in my area consists of cactus and mesquite trees. There average heigth is about 12-15 feet. There are a few other tree and shrub types here and there but in my case a clearing is either man made or small in size. I attached a pic from my 12' tripod to give you some idea of what I'm trying to describe. What you can see goes on and on to Mexico and or the Gulf of Mexico. Watch that bull, he's mean! And the feeder is legal but seems only hogs and cows come to it in the daylight this year.

My question is how do you determine where the deer bed and where the deer feed when everything is pretty much the same thing for hundreds of square miles? On the arial picks of the land on Terraserver.com you can see how the land drains and a concentration of denser growth. It looks like creek beds in the pic but when you bust your way into those locations they turn out to be just slight depressions in the ground rather than a creek. In La Salle county you can harvest no more than 5 deer. Of the 5 deer you can harvest no more than 3 bucks. This is deer country and a score well past 150 is common. I'm just not seeing much of anything and probably should put together a new game plan. What features would you look for in this case? This land amounts to 250 ac. and is fenced to control cattle but not high game fence. There is water on the property but it's going fast this year and may go dry soon.

Thanks

Old 10-25-2004, 01:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Can someone explain

Geez...it's one huge bedding area[]...my advice...just wait until the rut and then rattle your arse off and shoot one of those far exceeding 150 class bucks and then post pics so we can see them! I do some hunting in South Central Kansas and it is mostly flat but we have crops...could you plant a food plot?
Old 10-25-2004, 01:40 PM

In texas, the feeding area is the corn feeder,,Da!
Old 10-25-2004, 02:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Heck with the der..shoot that bull...much better eating. Although, somewhat cumbersome to drag out!
Old 10-25-2004, 06:14 PM
Typical Buck

i think illinois is kind of the same. they say find the food, find the deer but here it is corn and soy fields as far as you can see with very little woods. how do i get to the woods without blowing my cover?
Old 10-25-2004, 08:06 PM

The far exceeding comment wasn't intended to brag in any way. You should try to eat lunch in the diner in Dilley Tx. The mounts are unreal! You don't notice the crappy service because you have plenty to look at. They say they all came from the area with the exception of the mule deer mount.

Like the old saying goes...If that buck doesn't hurry up, i'm going to have to wait some more.

We have had lots of rain this summer and everything is pretty green still. The deer aren't as large as those found up north but the minerals available to them in the area seem to put on the antlers rather than pounds.

It is one of my goals to hunt in the snow. To follow a blood trail that contrasts with the white. Fresh tracks that kinda have a born-on date if the snow is fresh. Freezing my ass off! I just need to figure out if dinner is lunch or is that supper? I don't like to be late for that.