Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scrapes - good and bad news

Old 10-25-2004, 11:34 AM

Default Scrapes - good and bad news

I've been hunting the same spot for the last 3 weeks with, unfortulately, not much deer activity being seen.

The good news - On Sunday morning I discover 19 scrapes and 2 rubs, all within 40 yards of my tree stand and all on the path that leads directly to my tree stand. They are all brand new - I hunted the previous evening and none of them were there.

The bad news - it looks like it is a spike, possibly a 4 point, but most likely a spike.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Scrapes - good and bad news

Are you implying that you know it is a spike because of the size of the rubs and scrapes? In general, smaller bucks rub smaller trees, but I don't know how you could tell rack size by the rubs and scrapes? Maybe I missed something?
Old 10-25-2004, 12:15 PM

Well, I certainly don't know for sure, but based upon the size of the scrapes (relatively small), and that most of the scrapes clearly only have two main lines/markings running through them, I'm making an educated guess that it is a spike. The rubs were also on small trees. I'd love to be wrong though.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

Scrapes are not made by the deer's antlers, but their hooves. But like I said, in general, small rubs=small bucks. Like most everything else in hunting though, not an absolute! I think most here would agree.

On edit: Last Week Saturday I watched a 2 1/2 year old 8 pointer make several rubs on trees about the size of my thumb.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:44 PM

The way I see it it's good and good. Assuming (I hate to do it) you are correct that the scrapes were made by a less then mature buck I don't see the harm in it. You've got "subordinate" bucks marking up your territory, leaving interdigital gland scent in the scrapes and likely forehead gland scent on the licking branches. If I were you I'd be doing some rattleing. You "scent bomb" is set and all you have to do is light the fuse. If there's a dominate buck around he'll be looking to run off whoever is making the scrapes and rattleing mught just be the trick to bring him in.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:47 PM

Hey, I agree with you. I'm only saying that I have seen deer run their antlers in/through the scrape and I guessing that this deer did the same thing. There are clearly lines running the the rub that weren't made by the antlers. Obviously, most of the scrape was made by the hooves, as is evident by the dirt and leaves behind the scrape. I like your attitude and outlook, hopefully it is a 8 point. I tool and nice 7 point from the same area last year.