Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When should I make my mock scrape?

Old 10-24-2004, 08:01 AM

Default When should I make my mock scrape?

I was looking on mdwfp.com and I came across the rut chart.

http://mdwfp.com/wildlifeissues/crit...o&subject=Deer

I am in the very bottom left corner of the map. I am at the bottom of that county. It says the peak of the rut is January 26. When should I make my mock scrape?
Old 10-24-2004, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: When should I make my mock scrape?

Right now.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

zak!

Some of the guy's I work with that bowhunt are using the mock scrape now ,but our peak rut should be in full swing in another 2 week's ,usually the second week of November. One of the guy's I know took a small buck last week using this system so it must be working .

nubo
Old 10-24-2004, 08:48 AM

Should I use a dripper or just pour some urine in it?
Old 10-24-2004, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

This thread here will give you some ideas. Also this article should help. Good luck and be sure to let us know how you make out.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:01 AM

Zak, I created some new mock scrapes (actually a scrape line) from just outside a bedding area across infront of my stand and then down farther along the run last weekend. When I walked the scrape line Saturday morning I freshend up the scrapes but the two that had drippers on them were already cleaned of debris and clearly active. I hunted my stand that overlooks this scrape line last night and witnessed a doe come in and work the scrape. She did't paw at them at all but she came in nose to the ground and stopped right over the scrape that had the dripper over it.(I removed it Saturday morning to put in at a diffrent property) She licked the licking branch and stood at the scrape for about 15 minutes with her nose in the air(I had been rattleing and I think she was looking for the buck) but she never gave me a clean shot. The best she offered was a quartering toward shot at 26 yards and it wasn't a shot I was comfortable with.

I did learn a bit about mock scrapes though from this experience. If you're hunting over a run and you make mock scrapes put them on the other side of the run from where you're hunting. (ex. if you're on the east side of a north/south run put the scrape on the west side of the run.) In the instance I've mentioned the run I was hunting runs almost east/west. My stand is hung on the south sideof the run and the mock scrape is also on the south side of the run (my thinking is I'd gain a couple of yards when the deer came into the scrape) . When the deer approached she came right into my shooting window but was at a steep quartering toward angle and present a shot I wasn't comfortable with. She stood and worked the scrape for a very long while but never turned the 90-120 degrees I needed to get a really good shot. With a couple of twitches of her tail and two stepps she was out of my shooting lane without giveing up a good opportunity. In hindsight had I put the scrape on the north side of the run she'd have stood quartering away for better then 10 minutes and wouldn't have been looking in my direction. That would have been all the ingredients I needed for somemore backstraps in my freezer. Hopefully this will give you some food for thought for when you set up you're mockscrapes. For the record I was using Buck Fever Synthetice in my scrapes.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:12 PM

When hunting if I find a scrape, I take some of the dirt out of it. I carry a couple ziplocks and garden spade with me for this. I will start a mock scrape and put some of this dirt in them. It seems to work great the deer keep them active.