Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Interesting noise (buck) last evening.

Old 10-24-2004, 11:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Interesting noise (buck) last evening.

You know, I heard a sound coming from a doe on 3 different occasions in the past week and wondered what the heck it was... I have named this doe Screach!! lol... The first time that i heard her, was the same day that I had about 20 turkeys roosting all around me.. I was wondering what the heck was making the noise until i actually had a visual of the deer one morning and heard the noise.... The sound kinda reminded me of the sound that the Raptors made in Jerassic Park... Anybody ever heard any sounds like that before?
Old 10-25-2004, 01:24 PM

Ok, this may sound weird, but where I hunt in south AL, we have had deer people have killed that when they were shot the hunter noticed the same sort of thing. we asked our biologist and he said it was a type of fly larvae that whitetails can get up their sinus cavity causing them to snort and wheeze like you described.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Interesting. . . did you happen to see if he used his front right hoof to pick his nose?
Old 10-25-2004, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rob what I think that you heard was the sort wheeze that a buck will make to try to intimidate another buck. Either that or your buck may need Claritan.
Old 10-25-2004, 02:57 PM

At 28 yards he pauses looking for me (the buck that grunted) and I drew, placed the 30 yard pin low on his heart and......whispered, "I win" and slowly let the bow down and hung it up.
I love that feeling Wether you let him pass or let the arrow go you've won!

That's an interesting story. I've never heard that sound but I've still got a few years to go to match you years in the woods. It would have been cool if he did it in front of you. It almost sounds like a sneeze but it's hard to tell. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey guys, thanks...alot of good ribbing here as well... picking his nose with his right hoof, etc...[8D]

It was definately something different. Like I mentioned, it was like a snort wheeze without the wheeze....he was definately blowing his nose...probably snorted something, pollen, leaves or whatever...very interesting. I appreciate all your similiar stories as well. It's great to read other's experiences and stories on the wild, weird world of the whitetail.

You'd think after all the whitetails I've had around me over 20 years of bowhunting I'd have heard it before....I mean one whitetail in how many hundreds made this sound. Very interesting. [&:]