Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Michigan luck

Old 10-23-2004, 09:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default Michigan luck

Well I went home to Michigan for 4 days and took my trusty Mathews along. its been 19 years since I hunted my home ground. I have been around the country chaseing big bull elk, bears, mountain lion, muleys you name it. Well I got a call from my dad and he said he was going under the knife as he has cancer and Wanted to see me just incase bad things happend. Well I waisted no time and headed home to see the old man and after that My cousins asked me if I wanted to go huntin. I said heck yes Thats why I lugged a bow back here. So off to the store to get a tag and They said I needed a hunters safty card!!! I just happen to have my original from 1980 at home in a box so I went and got it and bought my first Michigan non-resident tag. off to the woods near my cousins house and they had a tree stand all set up for me, I declined as I hate sitting in a tree. they just laught at me as I told them I was going to sneak around and shoot one. As if to say you can't do that! tHATS JUST HOW i HUNT. I got a little tic'ed off and headed out into a swamp they went to there stands and we were goin to meet back at the truck after the hunt . well about 30 min. later I was skirting the side of this swamp moveing only about 5 yards a miniute and I herd something comming at me from the thick swamp. I dropped to one knee and knocked a arrow tipped with a thunderhead 125 and a doe came out about 35 yards away and right behind her a average 3yrold 8 point comes out I drew and he stopped and that arrow zipped him right threw the lungs, he went about 30 yards stopped and looked back and started doing a jig and fell over and was done. I gutted him and pulled him back to the truck. the time was 3:30 pm and All i had to do is wait. about 5 min later my cousin Joe shows up and couldn't believ his eyes. He came back to the truck because he had to poop and forgot the paper HHEHHE He gets on the radio to my other cousin Jimmy and steve and they all came out. it seems they have been hunting since the first and they haven't seen or got a thing well they did see does but no bucks. they just stood there with mouths open , that the old man (me ) got one on the ground in the first hour on the first hunt. I know it was just luck but boy was that sweet. the sad thing is I had to leave the meat and rack there because of the CWD thing but my dad is thankfull he'll be eating venison. He is doing much better now. I am praying for a full recovery. cheers Rich
Old 10-24-2004, 12:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Michigan luck

Congrates ,yep good venison
Old 10-24-2004, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Michigan luck

Kewl!!!

Neat story and congratulations. You have to love it when a plan comes together luck or not!

Your Dad will be in our prayers.