Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Full moon the 28th,how's the hunting

Old 10-23-2004, 08:38 PM

Default Full moon the 28th,how's the hunting

In your experience how much does a full moon affect deer hunting?
Do the deer move less or more a few days before and a few days after a full moon?
Would hunting the morning or evening make much difference?Thanks
Old 10-23-2004, 08:51 PM

Default RE: Full moon the 28th,how's the hunting

I dont buy into the hype about the moon and its affect on animals and fish. I would say hunt like you normally would. It has NEVER been proven that the moon triggers the rut or affects it. There may be a few more deer moving nocturnally due to the moon out at night, but i dont see it as being very significant. IMHO, hunt like you normally would.

slayer
Old 10-23-2004, 08:54 PM

i would like to know the answers to the questions myself . anyone have a though on this subj,
Old 10-23-2004, 09:14 PM

In my own experiences i find that in a full moon,, if its clear the deer will move a lot during the night,, and bed down before daylight.. Maybe because it is so light all night long,, and ive noticed more activity during midday,, but id blame that on the idea that they were up all night,, and bedded before daylight,, and get up later in the day to get a drink and little bite to eat.. Just my two cents worth,, someone else may have experienced totally different scenarios,, but this is mine.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:33 PM
Typical Buck

Angus exactly.I agree 100%.I have hunted in full moon periods and found the same senerio.Just remember a full moon doesn't mean that it's full at 12 midnight and high in the sky.The moon can rise at 6 am in a full moon period, and at hight noon be at it's peak or low on the horrizon.I remember a year or two ago when this happend durring the rut, deer where moving big time durring the most of the daylight time.I believe it does have an effect,yet for the common folk it can be somewhat complicated to understand all the aspects.Last year about this time durring bow season I hunted evenings,and the full moon was rising about 3pm.Anyhow deer would come out around the moonrise and when the sun was setting.it sucked because that was usually deer thirty and they would generally feed and pass through quickly, not on that night though[:@]I had to make all kinds of racket and sounds to get them away so I could get home,and not blow my area.Deerslayer does have a point too though get out and hunt as you normally do.Just when you think they should be bedding down or hanging tight a coyote or something can stir them from their bed and bring them right to your stand.Like the lottery you gotta be in it to win it
Old 10-24-2004, 12:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

I dont like a full moon ,unless you want to hunt it at night??? Activity around here is down when the moon shines all night.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:05 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-24-2004, 04:43 AM

durning a full moon at night the deer will feed and move more after night than on a new or 1/4 moon.they do go with the moon,I have saw it for the past 40 years or so.if you watch,you will see some deer durning the mor. and eve. but not near as many.if you are not in the woods you want see deer. so hunt when you can and do the best you can.

the moon does have an effect on movement.they will get up and move a little at moon rise ; moon set ; and move over and moon under.it just depends on if it is full or not.if full they move more and feed longer.
If you have a full all night,they will feed some durning the mid day period.
JMHO, and experance of 40 years of watching deer.[&:]
Old 10-24-2004, 05:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think the position of the moon has more effect on movement than the phase of it. Since that study was conducted by Charles Alsheimer about moon phase, positition and timeing of the rut I have followed his theory and found what he says holds a lot of truth. In short what he says is if the moon is directly overhead or directly underneth you will/should see more activity reguardless of phase, and that is excatly what I have experienced.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

Oh yeah I also forgot to mention something about the full moon on the 28th,there is supposed to be a total lunar eclipse,from around about 7pm to 9pm.Although I doubt any of us will be in our tree stands then I thought that I would mention it.Also it is supposed be viewable to all of north America I believe.

Quick Reply: Full moon the 28th,how's the hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.