Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Full moon the 28th,how's the hunting

Old 10-25-2004, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Full moon the 28th,how's the hunting

Honestly Viking, I've been researching this subject for nearly 3 years now. I do find a difference with fish, undoubtably! My findings with deer are sketchy. I have recorded over the past 3 years however, that many people I know see the most amount of rutting activity following the full moon. Not just any full moon, but the full moon in november after the fall equinox...The Rutting Moon! The people I've spoken to have usually no idea it was after the full moon. I just ask my friends, family, and others the dates in which they have shot a deer and recorded it. Most as it seems, dating back now several years take place immediatly after the november full moon. I still am not convinced of my own findings, but it does keep me interested in hunting more immediatly after that november full moon.
Scientists however are still undecided on the subject. Half of these professionals theory that the moon does affect the deer, half don't. So do what I do, ask people after they shot a deer, record it. Maybe you can find some pattern in your neck of the woods. I think I found mine.

www.hunt-blog.com
Old 10-26-2004, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

From 25+ years of personal experience, outside of the rut, morning hunts SUCK following a clear night with a full moon -- the evenings tend to be a little better.

HOWEVER, during the pre-rut and rut, all bets are off. I shot a nice buck 2 years ago on Nov. 1st in the morning while he was following a doe and grunting with every step. ALL day is a good bet during the rut--moon phase then makes no difference.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:05 PM

I've been looing at all of these factors for the first time this year. And looking back, it seems that there are a few trends for both my deer and my friends deer.

1. During the rut, the moon plays little importance. If the does are moving, the buck are moving. If the does aren't moving, the bucks are chasing them and making them move. Kinda a cycle. Most of the big bucks taken around my area in the last couple of years have been during the first week of November -- right about the prime time for the rut. And most were not taken in early morning or late evening. It seems that the deer were moving more during the 9-11am hours and the 2-4pm hours.

2. Outside of the rut, I think that moon phases play a large role in the patterns of deer. I'm not sure this applies everywhere, but a full moon around here has the deer moving later in the night when there is less commotion. I guess this could be partly due to the fact that I hunt an area with some small state highways. Deer cross this highway before dark, but will delay until there is as little traffic as possible. Therefore, if there is a full moon, they have less drive to get accross into my hunting area in the evening and so they cross well past legal hunting hours. There is also very little movement the next morning since they bedded down so late.

May not apply to everyone, but that's the general thoughts in my area. I wouldn't be suprised if it changed a few miles down the road though.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

Going on field experience alone I am a big believer in the moon effect for both animal and fish activity. I have had better hunting and fishing when the moon and sun are both up. Full moons can be tough if the rise, peak, or set don't fall near normal activity times. However, when there is a sunrise/set near a moonrise/set I have had very good luck. I hunt as much as I can but I try to spend my allotment of time in the woods when I feel my chances are best. I just checked moon data for the 5 dates and times that I shot mature (3 yrs or older) whitetails and all but one time had positive lunar effects. That buck was driven to me by other hunters. Go figure.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:31 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-26-2004, 04:52 PM

I tend to agree with the idea that the extra light will result in feeding at night and then that will delay their next movement (pun?). That is why it seem you often seem them active later in the day.

When it is a full moon I'm hoping it is cloudy too. I also try to stand guard longer than I usually do and get in the stand a bit sooner in the evening. Haven't got one this year yet so what do I know?
Old 10-26-2004, 05:52 PM

An interesting read from Charles Alsheimer on moon phase.

http://www.charliealsheimer.com/ca/moon.html
Old 10-26-2004, 07:03 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-26-2004, 07:39 PM

Back in 96 or 97 I read an article in Petersons regarding moon phase's. It was either written by Alshimer or Bernier. That year I looked at the calender and the phase was right in our area and I did notice I saw a bit more activity that year. I saw Bernier at a seminar in Jan of this year and had an at length discussion with him regarding the moon phases. He swears by the 2nd moon after the fall equinox kicking things off. So far based on the posts in the various forums it looks like he will be close in the Northern 1/2 of the country. Based on past experiences I have noticed increased deer activity during our rifle season when the full moon occurs about a week to 10 days prior here in NH, and according to deer kill statistics the numbers tend to rise or fall depending on when that moon fell over the last few years. Now here in NH our total kill by all methods combined is on average 10,000 per year. So if you see deer consistently in NH you are doing good. If you get one consistently you are doing outstanding. I know folks who have gone 4 or 5 years without as much as seeing a deer during hunting season. So it is easy to notice more frequent sightings when your population is scarce in comparison to other areas.

Besides my wifes Uncle who is one of those know it all but won't stray ten yds off the paths, smokeing, talking afraid of heights so won't bowhunt woodsman managed to see a doe this past weekend when out youth hunting with his boys. His boy missed her. He has gotten 2 deer in 40 years of hunting. It has got to be due to increased activity due to the second full moon on Wed in order for him to see one!!!
Old 10-27-2004, 01:12 PM

I'll agree with others saying that deer tend to bed down at dawn yet the middle of the day deer are more active. I know hard to consider but sometimes midday is this situation is better then morning, just staying out there all day is the tough part.