Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Full moon the 28th,how's the hunting

Old 10-24-2004, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Full moon the 28th,how's the hunting

last years full moon in november i seen more deer in the morning hours than i had all season. i say go hunting anyway. cant get em on the couch
Old 10-24-2004, 08:24 AM

Here's the link to Alsheimer's study, I've been reviewing it and it looks very interesting. http://www.charliealsheimer.com/ca/moon.html
Old 10-24-2004, 08:34 AM

"This fall's rutting moon occurs on Oct. 28, which is very simular to 1996 when the rutting moon was Oct. 26. Our data from 1996 indicates whitetails were going nuts the first week in November across North America. So, for those of you who keep accurate records, this year's rut should be very much like those of 1996 and 1999. Further, this year's rut should be as close to a classic rut as it gets. If you're planning a vacation, you want to be hunting sometime during the first two weeks of November."
October 2004, Deer & Deer Hunting, page 91.

I hope thats right!! I saw an awesome rut during '96 and '99!!
Old 10-24-2004, 05:11 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-24-2004, 08:03 PM

IMO, the moon has a very slight influence on deer movement, but has absolutely nothing to do with the rut..i think the rut is photoperiod. Crops have nothing to do with the rut. the rut will go on if the corn is picked or not. food has absolutely no link to the triggering of the rut.thousands of acres of corn really have nohting to do with the rut. the pineal gland basically controls it, and it goes by photoperiod, the amount of light during the day. it gets shorter as we get farther into winter. I really dont pay much to the moon phase when hunting. I hunt when i can hunt. I dont plan on being in the woods during certain times. i get out every minute i can.

slayer
Old 10-24-2004, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

I get out as much as I can all season. I must admit though, that the full moon tends to slow deer activity down. The last 5 years I have been watching this closely and found deer movement was noticeably different during a full moon. I agree that crops don't have a thing to do with the rut, but also believe that crops would give more cover for the deer to chase in. I also believe this year will be a great rut and that the first 2 weeks of November should be awesome. Good luck everyone.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deerslayer,

The crops have everything in the world to do with hunting the rut which is what turkey hunter was talking about. The crops will dictate what the does are doing and the does will dictate what the bucks are doing and if what they are doing takes place in the corn then more than likely you won't ever know about. If that corn is still standing then more than likely you will see very little movement because that is where the deer will be. Also, the does may not be as scattered as they might be in a good mass year. They may be more concentrated on food sources, which would mean the bucks didn't have to travel very far or very much. I would say those things had everything in the world to do with the rut
Old 10-25-2004, 07:34 AM

ORIGINAL: Deerslayer_37

It has NEVER been proven that the moon triggers the rut or affects it.
slayer
I have to totally disagree with you. The deer rut off the moons cycle it is the good Lords plan for survival. The gestation for a deer is 198 days average. Does breed so that their fawns will be born on the last quater of the moon going into no moon. The reason for this is survival. Preadators are less active during the dark of the moon, hence giving the fawns a better chance of survival. Ever wonder why a deer if not bread during the first rut comes into phase again 28 days later. The moons cycle is 29 days also. Even humans cycle is 28 days. God knew what he was doing. All that being said I predict the rut the first week of November also. Sharkey
Old 10-25-2004, 03:26 PM
Typical Buck

Good post ShakeyGod definately knows what he's doing and what you wrote makes a whole lot of sense to me.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:45 PM

I never consider the moon and have never really seen it's effect on the rut or deer movement. In my area weather is king, if the weather is cold, you will see deer.

Quick Reply: Full moon the 28th,how's the hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.