Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Road Kill Dinner (Poll of sorts)

Old 10-23-2004, 08:05 PM

Default RE: Road Kill Dinner (Poll of sorts)

Iv'e hit 2 deer and took them both home (at different times). The first one tasted just fine, but the second one extremely gamey and and strong smelling when I would cook the meat. Don't now if was stressed or something because I hit it when it was at a full sprint to get somewhere. I ended up giving it away to someone to make jerky out of it.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:49 PM

Heck yeah,, meat is meat,, it doesnt matter how it dies,, as long as it is fresh it still tastes the same as one that has been shot,, tasty.. You may have to trim a little bloodshot meat away,, but the undamaged meat is fine.. Ive actually hit some deer with my vehicles,, and if tey arent torn up badly,, i always use the meat.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

I picked up one I saw hit by a pickup. I pulled off cause it was laying in the lane kicking and I knew other cars would hit it again. I didn't want to see any accidents. I grabbed and pulled it off the road and asked if the guy who hit it wanted it...he said he was on his way to work and couldn't take care of it...I said help me through it in my truck but upon skinning it, most all the meat was jelly....I had to discard of it
Old 10-23-2004, 08:58 PM

i would take the backstraps only and maybe the skull cap if it was a buck.....

Joe
Old 10-23-2004, 09:06 PM

nothing wrong with it. I have picked up several fresh ones over the last few years. as long as its not busted up bad theres no difference between it and one you shoot.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would do it and not give it a 2nd thought. Now if a deer was found dead of natural causes or something to that effect I'd definately pass.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Heck yea,I picked up many a deer that way,they taste the same.The best I ever got was a double.They both jumped off a over pass and landed on their heads.
Old 10-24-2004, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have in the past and would again in the future.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep no problem here, As long as the deer didn't take a full head on collision, and bruise all the meat. Tastes the same. No difference.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hazcon7!

I have eaten roadkill in the past ,one evening a friend was coming home from work and seen a small buck run directly into a car ,He came and got me ,at that moment i was just heading for bed but i thought what the heck I'll go have a look and if it's all busted up I'll take a pass on it .
As it turned out the buck had a broken neck ,so I dragged him into the ditch and done the dirty work ,took him home and hung him in the garage for a couple of day's .I had this buck butchered and by eating the meat you couldn't tell that it had been roadkilll .
So my answer is yes I would eat it anytime .
I also have a friend who has conection's with the police who get's call's for deer hit by car's ,he'll only take them if they're not busted open .I don't think I'd eat a deer that was busted open niether ,but a broken neck ,sure I would.

nubo

Quick Reply: Road Kill Dinner (Poll of sorts)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.