Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Did I screw up tonight?

Old 10-23-2004, 04:53 PM

Default Did I screw up tonight?

Went out this evening and changed stand locations. After finding a little cedar thicket that had nearly 50 rubs in it, some old but a lot of fresh ones, I set up my climber and got settled in. Well it was really windy and rainy so I decided I would get down and make this day a scouting day. I got down and made a mock scrape close to some rubs, and then started walking around. I got about 200 yards to the left of where my stand was set up and I jumped up 2 deer. I couldn't tell what the one in front was, but the back one was a nice buck. I left my stand there and plan on going back in the morning. I'm just wondering did I mess up by jumping this buck?? Sorry so long.
Old 10-23-2004, 04:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Did I screw up tonight?

Welcome aboard! I would be carefull jumping him again because THEN he wiil be gone! Good Luck!
Old 10-23-2004, 05:01 PM

IOM what you did after you jumped him makes the diffrence between screwing up and not. If you backed away from him and didn't pressure him you should be ok. Deer get bumped and will continue to through the rifle season so if you didn't pressure him aside for kicking him up you'll be okay.

If I were you I'd let the area cool for a couple of days before I went back to the stand. The mock scrapes should raise some curiosity in him and my bet is he'll be lerking around.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:43 PM

Once i jumped the deer, I just backed out and got out of there as quietly as possible. The deer didn't blow at me or anything they just bounded over the hill. They didn't act too spooked. I'm going back to the stand in the morning.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Kyle !

I wouldn't worry too much about putting him out of your area espeacially if he a resident deer ,this wouldn't be the first time he's been bothered .he'll likely be around again.I've been hunting a specific buck for 3 years now and I've bumped him on numerous occasion's and he still hang's around the area .

nubo