Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Back From West Va Opener

Old 10-23-2004, 01:23 PM

Default Back From West Va Opener

Well, I'm back from a week long bowhunting trip near the place in West Va. where I was born and raised. The leaves were gorgeous with all the colors of fall. Me and my best buddy from Ga went up to Gilmer Co. and joined some guys in a club we've never met, but they invited us from a post I made on another website for an opening day hunt. We had wind, lightning, thunder, 3 hail storms, rain, blue sky all in one day! Saw some deer and turkeys, but never got a shot at the deer. One of the guys in the club shot his first bow-kill. They were really a great bunch of guys and we had an awesome time hunting, eating chilli dogs, watching hunting videos, shooting the bows and the "schtuff'. We shook hands and departed and had a lasting memory. We really appreciated their hospitality.
On Sunday (no hunting), we went and scouted a WMA where we would hunt. Walked some miles, found some sign, and prepped our stand for Monday morning. The temp was 32 degrees (just right) and at 0920, an 8-point came under my buddy's stand. He let a Spitfire XP right into the bucks chest and the deer dropped 20 ft away. We met at 1100, and took the buck into the checking station and then took it home and quartered it up. A front came through and it started pouring the rain down, so we went and visited some of my family that evening. Next morning, it was somewhat warmer, but at 0930, this 4-point came within 25 yards and my XT 55/75 Muzzy zipped through both lungs. The buck ran maybe 60 yards and crashed. Back to the "room of death" to do some more quartering!
Wed and Thurs A.M. wasn't productive. Between the rain and temps in the 60's and someone running there dogs nearby, we didn't have any luck. Thurs afternoon (our last day), my brother-in-law mentioned we should go on top of a neighbors hill meadow and see if we could get one there. With no pressure to get meat, we all split up and hunted on the ground. We had deer running all over the place! One doe flew by me at 10 ft. I was hunkered down in some brush thank goodness. Then I saw a young deer (BB) poke it's head over the ridge to see what was going on. It saw me and didn't come closer. It ended up going back the way it come. After 30 minutes, I decided, to stalk it. Walking up over the ridge, I noticed it grazing near the woodline. I was in an open field then and all the cover I had was a tree with some brush at the base. I circled around and got the tree between him and me and creeped closer and closer. I ranged the woodline at 35 yards. He kept grazing to my right and and gave me an open shot. I held my 30 yard pin a little high and the shot went off automatically. The arrow flew true and smacked him in the shoulder. He ran 10 yds and crashed and didn't move. When I got within 20 yards, he took off through some brush. I let him go for an hour and tracked him where I found him dead. He's a tender one and will be good eating. That was my first bow-kill deer taken on the ground.
It was dark, we had a deer to cut up "again", and it was time to pack up and head home the next day. We had an awesome time and reflected on our success on a 10,000 acre WMA that we've never set foot on before. After minimal scouting, we chose a location that would put us both within bow range. The bucks may not be wall-hangers, but they are trophies to us none-the-less. It was a great time.

Old 10-23-2004, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Back From West Va Opener

way to go jetblast
Old 10-23-2004, 04:25 PM

Wow ! sounds like you had the hunt of a lifetime going there. You sure won't starve this winter. Congrats. on a great hunt jetblast
Old 10-23-2004, 05:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

congrates
Old 10-23-2004, 05:19 PM
Typical Buck

Great Job, looks like you had better luck then me today on my first bowhunt of the season.

I set my blind up yesterday and saw several deer in the area, went back this morning and saw nothing. Went out with my fiance about 3:30 and didns see anything but squirrels. Then about 10 after 5 she says theres a deer, i thought she was just seeing things. I hadnt heard a sound or seen anything coming in, but i look out the window and sure enough there is a small doe about 15 yards away. I drew my bow and stood up and she was looking toward the blind, i dont know if she saw me or just noticed the blind. I held the pin on her as she looked at me and then she dropped her head and moved behind a tree. When she came out from behind it she looked back at me again. I should have waited for her to drop her head again but i didnt and shot. She jumped straight into the air and ran off with her tail held high. I watched her go about 60 yards and she disappeard in an open area. About 10 minutes later i see a deer taking off from where she stopped. I waited about 20 minutes and went and found my arrow, completely clean and no blood anywhere. I walked down to where she stopped and checked but there was no sign. Another case of jumping the string. My fiance was more disappointed then i was, she didnt want to leave, wanted to see another one. I told her it happens and id rather have a clean miss than a bad hit. Better luck next week i guess, i still had fun though, it was 2 hours ago and my hearts still racing.
Old 10-23-2004, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you was in Gilmer County on opening day, then you were close to me. I was in Calhoun hunting.

And the WMA wouldn't happen to be the Wallback WMA?????

Because if it was, you were really close to me.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:08 PM

ORIGINAL: HighCountry_BruteForce

If you was in Gilmer County on opening day, then you were close to me. I was in Calhoun hunting.

And the WMA wouldn't happen to be the Wallback WMA?????

Because if it was, you were really close to me.
No Sir,

The club was in Gilmer Co. near Cox's Mills. But I failed to mention the WMA was in Ritchie Co. (Hughes River WMA)
Old 10-23-2004, 06:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on the great hunt!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-23-2004, 06:22 PM

nice buck good eating