Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

OK...I may be shooting myself in the foot here...but...

Old 10-21-2004, 04:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: OK...I may be shooting myself in the foot here...but...

Sunset... you can put out anything and we guys will come running to your stand.[8D] I would think apple juice would work great. I use a couple smashed and rubbed on nearby trees in a couple spots with apple trees close by. It seems to make a nice cover scent/detractant.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Sunset ,
do you remember me telling you at your Gathering about attracting 4 does with persimmons on a handwarmer ? Yes , it does work , and so will vanilla . Vanilla smells kinda like white oak acorns . Food scents generally attract does and younger bucks , the big boys won't usually come to them unless their's a doe in heat there too . If anise(licorice) will draw them I guess nearly anything that makes them curious might . Try various scents on your herd in the off season to be sure .
Old 10-21-2004, 05:57 AM
Fork Horn

now they make apple skoal....
i might give it a try...
Old 10-21-2004, 06:09 AM

beleive this or not i was in cades cove in tenn. i took a bag of green apples with me.They say dont feed the deer but i couldnt stop myself i cut the apples in 1/4s and had em almost eating right out of my hand....the kicker is when i ran out all i had was 1 of those big bags of cherry lifesavers in the car my wife said give em some of these...well having hunted for over 20 yrs i told her she was NUTS thats not a normal food for them no way they would eat a lifesaver LOL. be dammed if this doe and her 2 fawns tore up like 30 cherry lifesavers they actually had red slober dripping out of there mouth i was rolling LOL.Guess my wifes not to nuts after all.

Old 10-21-2004, 06:19 AM

Sunset... you can put out anything and we guys will come running to your stand.
awww, tyty

Speaking of scents......I ran over, (no not killed), I tried to vere off & miss this big ole skunk with my momma huntin van....I missed him....Did he care that I spared his life? He sprayed my van....Well, four days later, I still have that scent on (and permeating in[X(]) my van. On the good side, I have excellent cover scent when I drive into my hunting area LOL....On the bad side, my daughters girl scout troop refused to ride with me to a function. LOL (wait a minute, that's an upside too....)