Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Neat things that happen

Old 10-20-2004, 07:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Neat things that happen

I was sneaking and peaking through some standing corn this morning. I popped into one row about 150 yards into the corn and see this red furry ball about 50 yards down. I started sneaking right down his row. I got to within 15 yards of the most gorgeous fox all curled up in a ball. He was just snoozing and waiting for the mist to stop falling. I rustled a corn stalk and he sat up. He stood and faced me not sure what I was. We had a stair down for about 2 minutes. I finally took three more steps in his direction before he decided I wasn't right. He hopped into the next row, then slowly poked his head back into my row to see if I was still there. Cool to do something like that. He had pawed out the nicest little bowl to lay in.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Neat things that happen

Would have made a nice mount. Wonder how many pheasants he'll eat before being trapped?[&o] Any thoughts on the subject?
Old 10-20-2004, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Davidmil,

Very cool, what a neat encounter. Man, you are the ultimate predator!
Old 10-20-2004, 10:46 AM

That must have been pretty cool! I'm a little supprised you didn't strip down to blue undies and wrestle with him

I get as much out of seeing other critters while hunting as I do seeing deer. This is an experience I hope to enjoy some day. Thanks for sharing
Old 10-20-2004, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

David...Cool story.

I enjoy things like that more now than when I was younger. I used to feel I had to shoot every available critter...but now the viewing is sometimes better.

Thanks
Old 10-20-2004, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cool story David!
That to me is what hunting is all about. It's not just the kill, it's the little things that you see while out there, that make it all worth while.

This past weekend I was hunting on the ground and had a big raccoon come right up to me, while sitting on the ground. He actually walked exactly where I did, with his nose to the ground. Now I have no idea if he was smelling me and curious or it was just a coincidence. Either way it was cool to see him @ 6ft! He looked at me and never batted an eye, just kept on walking by. I have to admit though, I did get a little nervous. I really thought he was gonna climb right up on me based on the direction he was coming. That would have been fun[:-]
Old 10-20-2004, 12:20 PM

I kind of had the same thing happen to me one year, can't remember if it was turkey or deer season. He got about 10' away and I had to move...
Old 10-20-2004, 01:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Would have made a nice mount. Wonder how many pheasants he'll eat before being trapped? Any thoughts on the subject?
If it's a varmit... I may shoot it but probably not. Foxes and things like that I just watch them and see the crazy things they do. He was a beautiful full coated fox and would indeed have made a nice mount if that's your thing. I don't even mount deer so don't worry about such things. If I can't eat it I usually don't shoot it. I suppose you could eat a fox if you had a mind to, but I have enough cereal in the cupboard to tide me through tough times. This bugger must have been in a deep sleep to allow me to sneak through 150 yards of corn going across the grain and never hear me. Seems like he'd go in his den and do his sleeping rather than out in the rain. Who knows, he may have needed the bath.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

That would have been neat. I would have enjoyed seeing that also. If it would have been a coyote, I would have shot him but it would have been tough to get that close to a coyote anyhow.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:07 PM
Dominant Buck

A coyote I'd shoot in a heartbeat. I don't need them taking out fawns. HOWEVER, I didn't have my bow with me. Forgot to mention that.

Quick Reply: Neat things that happen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.