Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mounting your trophy

Old 10-19-2004, 06:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Mounting your trophy

Ok, as long as we are on the toppic of BIG buck, little buck, I have a question. What would a buck have to score for you to mount it? About 10 years ago I shot an 8 pointer with my gun, it scored about 120, and I didnt have the money to mount it, otherwise I would have him on the wall now. I was just wondering what everyones secret # is before you would have one mounted?
Old 10-19-2004, 06:44 PM

Default RE: Mounting your trophy

I have a 150 class and a 160 class on my wall and they are my trophies if I shoot anything bigger than my 160 class I will mount it otherwise I will just do up a skull mout and put it in my garden cost zero money to clean up the skull boil it or just do what ever I feel in the mood for. The only time I will mount a head that is smaller than the ones on my wall now is if its a non typical don't have one of those yet.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:16 PM

My first buck scored 98" and is proudly displayed on my wall. Next one would probably have to be close to 120 to mount it. Ah, who am I kidding. Anything over 100 is going right next to it, right above my wifes recliner.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:36 PM
Typical Buck

I just got the first one back I've put on the wall, he grossed just over 150 and netted 145 5/8. This one was a rifle kill though, and if I were to get one in the 120's with the BOW, I would mount it. I will say though that even if I shot one this year with the rifle that didn't score as high as last year's I still may mount it. To me it's a little about displaying an animal that was a proud specimen in the woods, and why not continue it onto my wall?? lol Here's a pic of my mount that I just got back.....crappy digital camera, but I'll try to get a better one on once they're developed from my 35mm.

Old 10-19-2004, 08:51 PM
Typical Buck

To me it's a little about displaying an animal that was a proud specimen in the woods, and why not continue it onto my wall??

I agree 100%, I have a 168" non typical and 137" on my wall that I shot with my rifle. I mounted the 137" after the 168". I don't think that you have do outdo your best deer in order for it to go on your wall. I think if it is a trophy to you and you have the money to mount him, then he should be proudly put on your wall. I really don't have a standard amount of inches a deer has to have for myself. I would say it would probably have to exceed 120" unless it is a really unique looking deer. Any deer that pushes or goes P&Y is definately going on the wall, even if I have to work a few more overtime hours for it.

By the way, great looking deer RattleSnake1!!
Old 10-19-2004, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

Since I do them myself now, anything that we shoot will be mounted. I will be looking for one that is bigger that any I've shot while my son only has to beat a spike. Around the 125 range would be good enough for me.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

At my age and considering the price I dont have them mounted anymore. I did when I was younger,but still was very careful about which ones i had mounted. I mounted my first 150 buck and used that one as a guide. I have a 182 still sitting here as a skull mount and thats the way it will stay.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:33 AM

I have an ugly Pheasant mount I had mounted after a great day of hunting on my aunt's farm in Illinois with two of my best friends. My other friend who declined to go because "there ain't no birds on that farm" is still the running joke of that hunt. We took 5 roosters, 6 bobwhites and 11 rabbits that day. Every time I see that "ugly" bird on my wall it reminds me of a great day in the field, my family, and my friends. In my book that is the best reason of all for getting anything mounted.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:50 AM

I think that for a buck to go on the wall, it would have to fill one of the following:
1. Remind me of fond memories, regarless of the size
2. Be a special deer -- First with bow, wife's first, etc...
3. Have some unique quality
Last, and probably least in my book, be large enough to be impressive to others...

I hunt for me and the memories and for food, not for what other's think of me.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:58 AM

I think that for a buck to go on the wall, it would have to fill one of the following:
1. Remind me of fond memories, regarless of the size
2. Be a special deer -- First with bow, wife's first, etc...
3. Have some unique quality
Thats pretty much how I am too!

I had my two biggest deer mounted when I was younger. I ended up selling them to an uncle in the city for college tuition. I just sent off my last kill to get mounted, Yet I have bigger just skull mounted. To me it depends on how I feel about that particular animal.

Quick Reply: Mounting your trophy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.