Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mounting your trophy

Old 10-20-2004, 10:11 AM

Default RE: Mounting your trophy

I do them all as skull mounts and make a plaque that looks like a flint chipped arrowhead out of mesquite to mount them on. My buddy paid a taxidermist 100 bucks to do a halfassed job and I found that it only takes 2-3 hours of real time to do a fantastic job. Boil time doesnt count when you are having a beer and watching the grill at the same time!
Old 10-20-2004, 10:15 AM

I have 4 mounted now and another 3-4 skulls dislpayed, so to mount another would have to:
1. Be bow only
2. Be over 130
3. Be very unique if under 130
Old 10-20-2004, 10:41 AM

Although I've never offically had my best scored I put a tape to him and he's in the 120 range. For me to shoot another buck it would have to match or be better then my best. A mature 120" deer is a trophy in my area. There are very few mature animals and Maine may be known for big bodies but huge racks aren't the norm.

IMO if it's a shooter it's a hanger.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I only have 1 one my wall and I still mount it, from time to time
Old 10-20-2004, 11:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think that for a buck to go on the wall, it would have to fill one of the following:
1. Remind me of fond memories, regarless of the size
2. Be a special deer -- First with bow, wife's first, etc...
3. Have some unique quality
same here, one property i hunt all we can shoot is one cull buck and a mounter buck 8pt/w16" min, and all, or more than we want does.

100's ok
135+ is better
170 and over is deadly, with me and a bow this would give a whole new meaning to rattling( breathe in breathe out )
Old 10-20-2004, 02:35 PM

It's really up to you IMO. Is there any on esingle reason that you would like to have it mounted? If yes then mount it.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mjqood0

I think that for a buck to go on the wall, it would have to fill one of the following:
1. Remind me of fond memories, regarless of the size
2. Be a special deer -- First with bow, wife's first, etc...
3. Have some unique quality
Last, and probably least in my book, be large enough to be impressive to others...

I hunt for me and the memories and for food, not for what other's think of me.
This is how i fill also. I have 8 mounted the biggest scoring just over 133 . I also have quite a few scull mounts as well. Some of the bucks that i have had mounted scored less that the biggest But all scored over 100. This is 23yrs of bowhunting and is the core of who i am. I am not trying impress anyone! "never have never will with the quanity deer i take or the size antlers they have". Just for my own reflextion of who i am. And the fond memories that have been shared with family and friends
Old 10-20-2004, 04:52 PM
Dominant Buck

I always make sure the wife is in the mood first. If she's not in the mood I aint getting a mount.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

LAMO-yeh i guess i fall in that line as well!
Old 10-21-2004, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think I would have any guidelines as far as score to follow before I would get a deer mounted. If I think the deer has an impressive rack or if I think it looks nice, I'd get it mounted. I have one whitetail mounted, it's the first one I ever took. It's a perfect 8 point and it's probably around 100 inches. It's a beautiful mount and I enjoy looking at it and remembering that very special hunt. I've killed several other bigger deer since but haven't gotten any of them mounted. Instead, I did european style mounts with those bucks. I will however get another deer mounted eventually, but as of now, I haven't taken one that I wanted to put on the wall.