Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A little more fuel for the camo comparison fire.....

Old 10-21-2004, 12:58 PM

Default RE: A little more fuel for the camo comparison fire.....

Is the advantage timber on the left? I have an advantage timber coverall that's i've been hunting with sofar this fall. The leaves are starting to drop so it won't be long until I switch over to the sticks & limbs.

I think it's really important to consider where one will be hunting the most when choosing a pattern. Too often, it turns into a popularity contest with uninformed buyers.
That's about as accurate a statement as I've ever heard. I agree 100%. I'll add it also depends on time of year you're hunting. I love sticks & limbs but not early in the year when the canopy is full. Same can be said for the advantage timber. I'm starting to feel as tough I stick out like the porverbial "sore thumb" now that the leaves all pretty well gone (in Maine and New Hampshire anyways).
Old 10-21-2004, 03:38 PM

I use Realtree Advantage HD camo. It is not very good for the early part of the season, but once those leaves drop, it works pretty good. But, as one poster stated, it all comes down to how much you move. My father would tell me how when he was bowhunting back in the 60's, there wasn't any camo for them to wear. They just wore clothes that would break-up their outline in the tree. Plus I have had deer almost walk over me dressed head-to-toe in blazed orange in the rifle season. It all comes down to how much you move, IMO.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:13 PM
Typical Buck

this is only my opinion: i dont think its the camo pattern you use as much as breaking up the human shape. i mean shotgun hunters use blaze orange and still have deer come into close range.
Old 10-22-2004, 05:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the comments guys. The lighter pattern in the two pictures Adams is the MRG and the darker pattern is Advantage Timber. I will probably continue to wear the Advantage Timber until the leaves are completely off of the trees then I will switch to the MRG.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

As you know I am a sucker for a good camo comparison

The river ghost kinda stuck out in the dark setting to me. I think it would be great pattern/outfit if you are "skylined".

I think it would be much more effective at blending in once the leaves have changed rather than against a solid green canopy as pictured.

It also appears to be more of a blend in camo rather than a breakup style from the pics. Although it has a rather open camo design with the different color blotches on it.

I think some more pics in more of a "hunting" setting would be great if when you have time