Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gut shot

Old 10-19-2004, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Gut shot

Glad you found her, ya learned the hard way about taking shots at a fast walk. Hope you don't make the mistake again.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good that you found it
Old 10-19-2004, 02:51 PM

a shame about the gut shot, but congrats. on the recovery
Old 10-19-2004, 03:06 PM

No offence taken. I have made those walking shots before without incident (more than a few times). This is the first one I screwed up. Just the same, you are right. I probably won't take another shot like that.
ORIGINAL: BagginBigguns

You mentioned that you may have torqued the bow, but now that we know the deer was moving when you shot, that was clearly the reason for the gutshot.

Not that you're looking for advice or anything, but I don't recommend shooting at moving deer. This is a shot that nobody practices. Even if you do, your practice is likely shooting at a target moving at a different speed than the actual deer that you shoot at. We can argue how far is too far all day long, but moving versus stationary is not really an argument. Unless you have the resources to properly practice shooting at moving targets, I don't feel that it's an acceptable shot to take in the field.

You posted about a gutshot, so expect some criticism. All suffering aside, I'm glad you recovered the animal.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:10 PM
Typical Buck

Been there...done that...it sucks but congrats on finding her.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bad shot, good analysis of shot, great decision on waiting, great recovery, poor taste in thread title, too much unnecessary information published.

She was still warm and had no rigor mortis so she had only just died an hour or two before I found her. Poor thing likely died of sepsis. The ground was all torn up around her from her kicking in pain. I felt terrible.
As a bowhunter of more than 20 years, I didn't even need to read that. Sorry.[&o] But I am glad you recoved your animal. Like I said, you did right by the deer by knowing what to do after the shot. Congrats.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:41 PM

at least you recovered her.dont be so hard on yourself accidents do happen you know.