Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrow damage...help please!!

Old 10-17-2004, 12:10 AM
Typical Buck

Default Arrow damage...help please!!

Well...I put some new Silencers on my bow today, and went to test it out. I had 4 arrows, 3 with 100Gr Field Tips, and 1 with a fixed broadhead that i thought was rather dull...Im sure you all know where this is going.

I shot a few times (prolly 20-24 arrows) and had another go. this time, 3 arrows (all field tips) were shot at approx. 20 yards at my target (Deer). on the last shot, I decided to try a 30 yard shot at about a 45ยบ Angle from the target, and sure enough, I hit my two best arrows, slicing a good portion out of one, and then putting a "dent" in the other, mind you, these are Magnum Super Carbons. I also broke the blade on the broadhead. The bad news is that these are the only good arrows i have left, and with absolutely no money, getting new ones isnt an option...now heres my question:

I took the two arrows, and shot them 5 times more, each. They seemed to fly normal, even with the gouge and the part missing, would it be ok to still use these in an hunting situation? or is the strength of the arrow gone?

on the one arrow, there is a stirp about 7 inches long. and prolly 1/32" thick gone from the arrow, and the other has a, inch long strip gone, along with a "cut" in the arrow about 1/16" deep in a diagonal fashion on it where the impact of the broadhead was...

Im still very upset about this, and all help/comments are appreciated!! Good luck Fellow Bowmen/Bowomen
Old 10-17-2004, 12:20 AM

Default RE: Arrow damage...help please!!

MDManiac, i can't really tell from no pics.but i WOULD"NT shoot an animal without the best possible arrows i could get. That said, if there is a will, there is a way to get you some more arrows.Hang in there bowperson.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:54 AM

DO NOT SHOOT THOSE ARROWS AGAIN!!! You have a very good chance of blowing them up and sending the fibers through your arm/hand!! No kidding. NEVER EVER SHOOT A DAMAGED CARBON ARROW!!! There have been many documented reports of damaged carbon arrows that blew up when fired and caused serious injury. If my carbons aren't perfect I don't even think about shooting them. The arrow absorbs so much energy on the shot it's incredible. If you can't afford new arrows, you really can't afford the hospital bills to remove about 30 shards from your arm!!
Old 10-17-2004, 01:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Id have to agree with Shadow on this one. Dont shoot them, throw them in the trash now.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:40 AM

Do not shoot them buddy, toss them in the trash now. Like they said above,those arrows could blow up in your face and then instead of buying new arrows you will have a nice big medical bill. THROW THEM AWAY.

Goodluck,
Dave
Old 10-17-2004, 08:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

I sure wouldn't be shooting damaged carbon arrows.....that's a disaster waiting to happen. Better to be safe than sorry because the sorry part might go really south.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nuthin' left for me to do but add a period and exclamation point to what's already been said.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:50 PM
Typical Buck

Alrighty, I get the point [:-]

I have other arrows, but the fletchings arent straight. I will test em out, and see what they do...Thanks for the input, even though im a tard!