Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

West Virginia Opening Morning Bow Kills PICS

Old 10-17-2004, 09:22 AM

Default RE: West Virginia Opening Morning Bow Kills PICS

Ok it worked. Thanks for the tip Rob.
Here is John and I with his 7 point and my 9 point.

Side View

My friends 7 point

My first bow kill of the year hanging. A big bodied deer. I still have 2 more tags!!!

John's 7 point 14 1/2" spread. We think this deer was only a 2year old deer.

I passed on 8 bucks and 1 doe opening morning before taking the 9 point. There was an 8 point with him when he came in. I made a great shot and he when about 50 yards and CRASHED.
I couldnt be happier. Now I can hunt the rest of the season for the BIG ONES.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:23 AM

Good Buck!! So lets here the story!! Were they doing any scent checking or try to bother the does yet??
Old 10-17-2004, 09:52 AM

The story.....

I got in my stand about 6:15. It was about 40 degrees and windy 20mph gusts, rainy and wet.
At about 8:00 a 4pt walked about 15 yards from my tree. He stayed about a minute. After he left I hit the CAN call 2 times. Within 5 minutes a big 4pt came in about 30yds. He had about a 15in spread and no brow tines. He stayed around less than a minute. I was wearing scent lok pants, jacket, gloves, and headcover all 3D leafy. None of the deer even had a clue I was there but you could tell they seemed to be spooked by all the hunting pressure. After the 4pt left I waited about 15 minutes and hit the CAN call again, this time along with a couple grunts from my K&H easy grunter. I had put out 2 buck urine scent poppers and 2 doe urine scent poppers by Code Blue. About 5 to 10 minutes after the grunt calls a small 6pt and a smaller 5pt came in about 20yrds. They stayed around about 4 minutes. It was almost like the bucks were coming in to investigate the calls. I used the CAN call again about 15 minutes later and a doe came in. Within seconds of her leaving another 4pt and 6pt came in to within 10yrds of my stand. The whole time the these two bucks were looking behind them. So I knew there must be other deer close. I waited about 20 minutes or so and hit the CAN call again along with a couple grunts. Within seconds a nice shooter 8pt and the 9pt I killed came troting in to within 7 yds of my tree.
It all happened so fast that I didnt even have a chance to get nervous. As soon as they stopped the 9pt turned his head away from me and I drew back. I made a perfect shot and he went about 50 yds and crashed. The wind was strong but coming in the perfect direction. The bucks seemed to be still in bachelor groups and were not chasing does. But they seemed very interested in my calls. Successful hunt.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:48 AM

Both are very nice bucks, congrats to you and your buddy...Just wondering what part of West Virginia you were hunting?? i do quite a bit of hunting in Upshur County.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:51 AM

Nice bucks fellas. What county were you in?

I, for the first time in many, many years, missed the opener. I was heading into the woods with my 13 year old stepson, for his first big hunt. We had one essentially tied to a tree for him, he helped scout it and were nearly certain of a shot...

Had a dreaded family emergency phone call and had to end the hunt before it even started. Hoping to get out in the coming afternoons.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:53 AM

I live in Wayne County which is the most western county in WV. But we were hunting in Mason County. Mason county is up the Ohio River from me about an hour drive. The friday night before opening morning we spotted 2 really big bucks sparing in a clover/corn field close to our stands. So I will be going back to this area ever weekend until gun season looking for the BIG ONES!
Old 10-18-2004, 07:28 AM

I am originally from Mason co. I live in charleston area now because of work but I still do most all my hunting in mason co. you hunting private farmland i guess? I too missed the opening day (first time ever), as i spent thurs. night in the hospital [:'(].
i'll be after 'em from now on though.
congrats on some nice bucks and good luck on the bigguns.
chris
Old 10-18-2004, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on a couple of fine bucks!
Old 10-18-2004, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations to you and your buddy on a couple of nice looking bucks!!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:17 PM

Congrats,

Glad to see opening day was successful for something other than getting a wind burn and soaking wet like I did!

Quick Reply: West Virginia Opening Morning Bow Kills PICS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.