Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

need help please

Old 10-16-2004, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default need help please

Hey
Tonight I shot a doe at 20 something yards heard the arrow hit and saw her take off. This doe was really small, but was alone, so it could have been new right? Anyway I waited 30 mins got outta my stand and went to where I shot it. NO BLOOD at all. Then I found my arrow stuck in the ground covered in blood, but again I looked everywhere for over an hour and could not find a drop of blood.
Gonna try and go out tomorrow morning with another guy. Any advice.
I feel like an a$$ right now. It was a young doe, really small but I cant be picky because this would be my first deer ever.

Thanks
Jim
Old 10-16-2004, 06:29 PM

Default RE: need help please

Congrats on your first deer, but you do not have your first deer at this point. What color was the blood? was it dark or bright red? was it gritty (Gut Shot)? did it cover the entire arrow? I've had deer travel 50 yds with no blood before. It is possible that you hit an area that will let the deer survive but it sounds like probebly a pass through and my guess is it is not far from where you hit it, within 100 yds.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

my guess would be gut shot. the internals organs most likely plugged up the hole. she is probably dead out there somewhere.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Also could be a high lung hit, and if you follow in the direction she went you might find a great blood trail, think positive!!!!
\
Old 10-16-2004, 07:39 PM

Go back and check the area further out. Sometimes the deer do not bleed much for a hundred yards. Good luck!
Old 10-16-2004, 07:47 PM

congrats and good luck with the search I am sure you will find her just start from the point of impact and head the way that she headed and you will pick up some kind of trail just don't give up shes out there.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:12 PM
Typical Buck

thanks for the responses guys. As to the question the arrow went through the deer and into the ground, the entire part of the arrow was covered in a thin bright kind of color red blood, except for the part that was underground. I saw her run but the woods are thick and lost sight of her after like 20 yards (40 from my stand). She was really small! At first I was like what is that then she came out and i was like oh man.

Thanks for the responses, and the positiveness, it will help me sleep tonight. thanks alot guys.

Jim
Old 10-16-2004, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bright blood is a good sign. Take your time and be paitent. You will find her!
Old 10-16-2004, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

damn now I just heard that it is gonna rain tonight
Old 10-16-2004, 09:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

jim if its a good chance of rain i'd go back tonight with a coleman lantern if possible, the colman lantern will make blood stand out, i wish you the best of luck but if its a hard rain any bloodtrail will be gone in short order, with the blood you decribed the deer should be close imo....

best of luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.