Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

using an ATV when bow hunting?

Old 10-14-2004, 08:32 PM
Spike

Default using an ATV when bow hunting?

I have always wondered if when driving to my stand, with an ATV, would it scare away deer? The open field in front of the woods is too long to walk.
What do you Think?

Thanks
Joe
Old 10-14-2004, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: using an ATV when bow hunting?

well i would rather walk but if u must ride through the middle of the field and park it where it cant be seen to be stolen. i wouldnt ride it any farther than necessary. although i have heard of people who ride them right up to their tree and dont see a thing and have heard of people seeing deer everytime out. i guess just try it and see what works for you.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Used mine today while hunting in the forestry. Deer are so used too road noise that they become accustom to it and may ignore you until you stop. The moment you stop they"ll bolt in a flash. Bobby
Old 10-14-2004, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

You shouldn't drive to your stand, but you can stop at some point, ditch the 4 wheeler and walk the rest of the way. I do this from time to time depending on the which stand I'm going to hunt. The average distance I park is about 300 to 400 yards away from the stand. I do have a couple stands where I know exactly whee the deer come and go from. I'll often park 100 yards from that stand.

Good Luck!
Old 10-14-2004, 09:50 PM

if I have a long walk to my spot I just ride my bike it is easy enough to hide right where I am sitting I just cover it with leaves branches what ever I find and if ness I spray a little scent cover on it. Silent and effective
Old 10-15-2004, 01:17 AM

I used to ride my four wheeler right up to the box stands I was hunting in. I never had a problem and killed several deer coming from the same trail I used to get to my stand. Now, I just prefer to walk. However, I don't recommend it because you never know if you are going to scare that monster buck you've been tracking all season or not.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

How far is it across the field? I WALK 5 miles to my elk spot and carry em 5 miles out. If you are able bodied go for a walk.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:37 AM
TDH

If you park your 4 wheeler a good distance from your stand it will not disturb the deer. I use a 4 Wheeler and have not had any problems. I ride it to the top of the ridge and walk sometimes 1/2 a mile to get to my stand. You can also use the 4 wheeler as a blocking effort on the deer. If you want a deer to bypass a certain area, park the 4 wheeler in that area a force the deer to travel another route past your stand.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:04 PM
Spike

Thanks for your imput! I beleive that deer will still come around as they do...but i have never have seen a monster buck or even a 10pt. buck yet. I think 3 and 4 year olds might have more awareness..

Thanks again for your imput
Joe
Old 10-20-2004, 05:37 PM

had two does within 5 feet of my atv yesterday ,