Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do ya'll know about tree selection?

Old 10-13-2004, 08:19 PM

Default What do ya'll know about tree selection?

I'm having some frustration when choosing a tree for my climber that is straight enough so that I can get 15-20 ft. off the ground, with adequate outline cover. Maybe, I am over-examining, or not seeing the good trees, but what sort of trees should I look for, and what do you all do. Thanks alot, and holler back.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What do ya'll know about tree selection?

Kentuckybuck!

I know it can be tough in some bush's to find a good tree to climb, this is where you need to have a selection of treestand's, a fixed stand is the remedy but you need to put it in place a couple day's previous to the hunt .I've almost alway's found an appropriate tree but usually not where I want to place it ,sometimes if you carry a saw you can make a tree work for you even with the climber ,you can trim as you climb and then the tree will be available if you choose to use it again .

nubo
Old 10-13-2004, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats the #1 reason i dont own a climber...trees are to hard to find in spots you want. thats why i own ladder and hang on stands.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Choose wisely grasshopper, because the biggest deer will be under the one you pass up.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:48 AM

A straight tree is most important for safety reasons. I've climbe a crooked tree once. Once was enough for me to realize that it's not apractice to get into the habit of.

I look for a tree that'll get me 18-22' up the tree with preferable a pine or spruce tree behind or partialy in front of me. I find these types of tree will offer the most cover through out the entire season.

If you plan accordingly you can cut deer runs in by the trees you picked out early in the season. From past experience I've learned if you cut it they will run.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:29 AM

I always choose trees along the trails so the deer come from behind and to my left...I'm right handed. I like trees witha litle lean back. I just like the way I can lean into them while on stand. Incedentily, I don't ever sit down! If I really like the spot, I'll choose a small tree if I have to. I just go higher up. I look for large trees that I can hug and just touch my finger tips. My safety belt is only slightly larger than that.

Get the biggest tree you can and if not available, take what you get or move down the trail some.

Greg
Old 10-14-2004, 10:31 AM

Sorry, I forgot.

I have also used downed brush to move deer travel trails to where I need them. (If a good tree is too far from the trail.)

I like to do this in advance of hunting the area of course but have had it work the day I blocked the usual trail.

Just funnel them in with downed branches. It doesn't take much.

Greg
Old 10-14-2004, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I must be very lucky, becuase i have a whole bunch of straight trees i can get up in! I first do my end of the year scouting every year and see where the bucks and deer have been using the most! Then i find a nearby tree and wrap it with surveyours tape after climbing up in it to make sure its good to go. I have climbed hickory, locust, ash, and cherry, and walnuts here in ohio. Dont try to find one early in the morning it never works out, atleast for me anyways. I love climber!