Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spooke a Buck, What to Do?

Old 10-13-2004, 05:13 PM

Default Spooke a Buck, What to Do?

To all,
I hunted for the first time the other day and saw lots of deer. i hand my stand set up near a trail intersection and was posistioned for what i thought would be a thirty yard shot. All of the sudden a buc was right under. As he put his 10 point head down i stood to draw down on him. MY TREESTAND SQUEED, HE LOOKED RIGHT AT ME, AND BOLTED.

My question is how long will he stay spooked since he saw me?
Should i move my Stand?
Should i leave that stand alone for a few Days?

Also i shot at 2 does at 45 yards and missed both, will they be skiddish now too?

Thanks Ya'll
Old 10-13-2004, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Spooke a Buck, What to Do?

i'd give that stand atleast a week maybe longer give the deer time to calm down and for ur scent to get out of the area. 45yd shots are stretchin out there a little maybe next time wait for them to come a little closer. Best of luck!
Old 10-13-2004, 05:24 PM
Typical Buck

I am going to be brunt here. You need to take a step back and look at your situation. I cannot say I have considered shooting at too many deer at 45 yards. If you missed both, that means you need some major practice, you do not want to be injuring the deer with a poor shot.

I would stay away from that stand for a bit, as a general rule, but not knowing your specific situation, I cannot say what the deer will do.

BTW, welcome.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Droptine!

I have had similar situation's like this and in my experience ,I know that when this deer ll most likely be looking for your stand since you shot at him from it and he seen you to boot.I would definetly move the stand even if it's only 20 or 30 yrds from where you shot at him from .I've had similar thing's like this happen and had the deer return a week later and as soon as he stepped out of the bush he looked right at the tree that I shot at him from ,so I believe that they do remember . I think this is a matter of opinion but this is my belief's on your situation.

nubo
Old 10-13-2004, 07:44 PM

well I would say either not hunt the stand for atleast a week but the best thing would be to move it to another tree even if its only a short distance away also you might want to noise proof your stand if it made noise once it will do it again also another thing you might want to do is move it so your shots are not to long from your story forty five yards is to far for you I think I speak for alot of bowhunters when I say forty yards is a very long shot to be making unless you absolutely sure of yourself. when I practice I am able to group arrows at fifty+ yards along with alot of other hunters I m sure but I still won't shoot anything past 30yrds 35yrds max, and even that is a very long shot when your in the bush,for the mosty part I when I set up my stand or ground blind to make my max shot is only around 20yrds which makes me very confident I will not wound my animal. Good luck with the next hunt.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:46 PM

I agree with nubo on this,,, you need to move the stand at least 30 yards,, Ive had deer remember a tree that ive hunted ouit of before,, and they tend to avoid that tree. Ive actually taken a couple deer that way,, by moving a stand 30 or so yards away, and the deer returned to the area but kept an eye on the tree i had hunted before,, and never noticed me in a different spot.. One or two more times of spooking them there,,and they may start to get the idea and avoid a larger area around your stand.. Good luck and let them get a little closer and youll get em.