Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I wussed out

Old 10-13-2004, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I wussed out

Welcome to the board - even though it looks like you've been hanging around since June or so.

I would have probably done the same - but remember - just because he is going out hunting doesn't mean he is going to stick a deer. Most people I know bowhunt for a year or more before they can get close enough. If he did get close enough, I doubt he'd have the skills to hit the animal without the practice. I think the more dangerous people are the ones who think they know what they are doing, can hit a target during practice, but don't practice enough. These people can get close enough to deer to do damage. I see one or two of these guys every time I hunt public land.

Maybe the best advise to give a newbie like you ran in to at Dicks is the address to this website
Old 10-13-2004, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

WElcome, and where was this guy from or you from? You should have asked him where he was hunting so you know to avoid the area!
Old 10-13-2004, 04:53 PM

ORIGINAL: HAZCON7

Most people I know bowhunt for a year or more before they can get close enough.
Glad I don't know you!

Welcome to the board.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Don't worry about it. $20 says you can buy that bow on ebay in a few months.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Eddy!

There's not much you can say r do to change people's minds ,but maybe once he get's it home and start's shooting it he'll realize that there's alot more to shooting than just buying it and going hunting .Welcome to the board ,this is a great place to hang out and we have a variety of ethical hunter's here .When a hunter like the one you were just speaking of comes to this sight they don't last long because we have no problem telling them off about thier choice's .We're a good bunch of guy's and gal's here and the reason we stick around is to learn as much as we can about this sport we all love spo much and there's not one person here who doesn't think ethically and show's respect for our harvest's .

nubo
Old 10-13-2004, 07:05 PM

I can only hope the salesman said something, but I know it's not likely. My father-in-law owns an archery shop and I know from witnessing that he won't hesitate to tell someone they are an ass for thinking they can just go out and hunt, even if it means losing a sale.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ha...I saw a VERY similar situation last week when I was in the local proshop waiting for the guy to finish with his current customer so I could buy my second tag. It was a guy in his 40's wearing a Titleist hat that pulled up in a new 5 series bimmer w/ NJ plates on it. He apparently had stopped in and bought a new AR34 and all the accessories for it, and when I was in there the guy that works at the shop was setting it up for the guy. When the guy said to max the 70lb limbs out, I watched him try to draw this thing....lol...he tried to pull it strait back and couldn't so had to point it up in the sky and come down to get it back. The bow tech asked if he was going to hunt with this bow and if so, they should reduce the weight so he didn't have to do that when he was hunting. The guy said the same thing..."I'm going hunting with it this weekend"...it was Thursday evening. I told him that he better be able to at least hit a paper plate every time with that thing at whatever distance he planned on shooting at a deer and got a look from both the buyer and the tech that could have killed an elephant. Hopefully the guy didn't see anything and if he did, hopefully he either missed it or killed it. [&:]
Old 10-13-2004, 09:17 PM
Typical Buck

eddy, I always say that if your words for the person wouldn't have done any good than save your breath. Chances are they wouldn't have so you couldn't have done anything anyway................ welcome to the board.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:38 PM

Welcome to the board. I agree with the others, this is one fine place to be. I see people all the time thinking they can just buy a bow and go out and kill a nice buck the coming weekend. Not much we can do but try to give them advice and hope they take it. I tend to just shake my head and walk away, but there is occassions where I've had to give my .02 cents.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hopefully he misses cleanly, instead of wounding the deer. Then he'll learn the hard way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.