Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How much of hunting is confidence

Old 10-13-2004, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How much of hunting is confidence

All the confidence in the world ain't going to make the deer walk by your stand. Where I feel confidence comes into play is making the shot. When you take a shot you should have 100% confidence that you are going to kill that deer. Anything less and you shouldn't be shooting at it.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:30 AM

IMO confidence is knowing you can make the shot. Knowing you did your homework and set up stands in the right locations. Knowing you've taken the precautions to remain scent free. Confidence will keep you on stand on a slow day when a warm shower and a beer sound better then freezing and seing nothing.

I think confidence is an important part of hunting. If you're prepared for the hunt and your ducks are in a row then you should be confident. (Second guessing yourself is a bad habit I try to avoid. I setup the way I do for one reason or another and I've found over the years that my first responce is usually the correct one.)
Old 10-13-2004, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

"Confidence, with it you can"
Old 10-13-2004, 01:23 PM

There is no such thing as luck. You make your own luck. You can place stands all day and never have deer walk by them. If a deer walks by your stand that is not luck that is you placing the stand in an area the deer will walk by. I think confidence is 90% of hunting. It allows you to make the shot, place the stand, and do whatever else you need to do to take that deer.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:18 PM
Fork Horn

That is the one thing that surprized me the most about archery and bowhunting - the mental aspect. I'm always working a mental program in my mind and battling the negative ones. Its happening before, during and after the "moment of truth" It one thing that makes this sport so damn dynamic and exciting. Confidence is an important part of your tool box. It takes time, practice and a positive attitude.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

deertale, its funny that you mention the mental aspect of the hunt. My hunts usually get more of a mental game after the fact. When you have 2 bulls down and are 5 miles from any road, you are not only physically wooped but also mentally wooped. Usually when I get into the elk I have already packed in camp to 3.5 miles and hike another mile and a half to get to my spot. Without confidence there is no way in heck I would put myself into that situation and go that far back in. I killed a bull one year and was all by my lonesome way back in the canyon. It was my confidence that made me go that far back in and also confidence that got me back out in one piece. As far as my hunting. Yes, lady luck does come into play, don't get me wrong. But I beleive that confidence seals the deal. Year after year my tags get filled early on in the season. Homework pays off and patience bred by confidence keeps me where I need to be. I am already tagged out this year. Bull elk, Antelope buck, Mulie buck, and a hen turkey. And I am confident that I can do it again.--If i'm Lucky---
Old 10-14-2004, 12:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is a good thread!! Its gettin down to the roots of what hunting is about! It should stay at the top a few days so people will check it out.

Good luck to all. One shot, one kill!
Old 10-14-2004, 12:33 PM

when I don't find animals as it seems like I just get frustrated and can't get close to save my life. Is there any way to stay confident when nothing seems to be going your way?
I think it has A LOT do do with confidence to answer your original post. A confident hunter knows he did his homework, and his follow thru....
When I start questioning myself I try to break everything down. I concentrate ......really concentrate.... I ask myself questions like, " why would a deer pass through this lane " or "is this a SMART location or a convenient one...... If your not seeing game ask yourself WHY ? Is it you ? Are you downwind ? Are you REALLY being still. Are you scentfree ? Are you getting to your stand QUIET ? Can you be more quiet ? If not - can you act (sound) more like a deer on your way in, or a squirrel)
Are you setup too close too a bedding area for your approach direction and noise level ?? Can you approach the stand from another vantage point ?
Is your stand silloetted against the sky ?

Just ask yourself questions - smart ones and be honest with yourself. Then if your doing things right - get hardcore...... stay on stand longer - and get there earlier.

Well thats enough for now.....

Good luck - keep your head high.....
Old 10-14-2004, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think confidence plays a definite role. I hunt better when I am confident. For example I a much more apt to stay on stand longer when I am confident. I move less and have more focused when I am confident in a spot etc. So yes it plays a role in my hunting success. I also agree that luck plays a role. However, when folks are consistently "lucky" it's probably not luck!

My favorite saying is:

Must be present to win!
Old 10-14-2004, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

Its a lot of confidence and strategy, hardly any of it is luck i think...

Quick Reply: How much of hunting is confidence

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.