Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer Sightings Slump.

Old 10-11-2004, 10:19 PM

Default Deer Sightings Slump.

I'm in a wicked drought. How often do you guys see deer from your stand? In the past three years I've only managed to see two does, at the same time, from my stand (and my legs went numb from sitting on the crappy "toliet seat" stand I was in so when I stood up to take the shot I almost fell out of the tree and spooked them off.) I've hunted different stand locations, big woods and small woods, and private and public land. Granted I live in a City and don't get to hunt everyday, only Weekends, one long weekend, and one extended "deer camp" trip. I'm in a major slump; has anyone else been in this perdicament? To salt the wound my buddies have started to think I'm bad luck. I'm in a major slump; has anyone else been in this perdicament?
Old 10-11-2004, 10:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Deer Sightings Slump.

Yep, been there! but you just have to keep at it. It can only get better
Old 10-12-2004, 12:20 AM
Dominant Buck

I just posted my tip. See finding hunting property. I see a dozen deer pass below on average every hunt and I'm not talking does and button bucks. By no means can every property I hunt produce this, but then not every name in your black book is going to get you lucky.

Good Luck
Old 10-12-2004, 12:45 AM

Yeah I would talk to some more property owners. (If you have them in your area) You never know what they're going to say. You also might look into saving some money and going on an outfitted trip. This could give you some bragging rights![8D]
Old 10-12-2004, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Kodiak, I can sympathize with you. Hunting Ohio, can be tough at times, especially in comparison to say Pa. I live in NE ohio and hunt both States. In Pa seeing deer is much easier due to better land and access (for me).

That being said, I've found some new private property in Ohio and got permission to hunt it. This year I've seen and expect to see deer everytime out. I've seen as few as 2 and as many as 9 in an evening, couple hour hunt! I think the trick is don't get locked into a certain spot. Thats what happened to me, prior to this year. I had only a couple private farms and some public land, where I seen deer and even took some bucks but more often than not I didn't see anything. This summer I scouted, from the roads, found some good properties and knocked on some doors. Yes I got turned down a few times, but never rudely, usually something like, I only let my family hunt or something similiar. But I also found some farmers who had enough crop damage to almost beg me to hunt their land.

So in conclusion I'd say, don't be satisfied to stay where sightings are low. Knock on some doors, theres plenty of deer in Ohio, but you gotta play on their field.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:49 AM

Badatta2d:
You make some great points!

I've had a real buck slump here in NY. Saw one spike all last year during all seasons. And come to think of it, only saw one buck even when I wasn't hunting! I think the ratio is way out of whack here and then the stupid DEC went and decided not to give out very many doe tags in my county. Go figure.

Anyway, dont' get discouraged! I look at it this way. If I can just sit out in the beautiful out of doors, I've lost nothing. If I see animals, I've at least enjoyed myself. If I get a doe, it's meat on the table and if I do see a buck, it's downright thrilling! Let alone getting the buck! But, unlike many, I don't hunt to fill a wall with trophies. I just don't care that much about antlers. It's enough for me to get away from the 9-5 daily crunch and take a step back. Your mileage may vary, but hang in there! Always remember there are people who don't take the time to appreciate the out of doors!
Old 10-12-2004, 09:34 AM

Wow, you've really got a slump. I guess my biggest question would have to be what is your scouting routine? IMO scouting is the most important part of bowhunting. Hunting travel routes and staging areas is key to seeing deer movement and eventually getting a shot.

How did you come to choose your stand locations?
Old 10-12-2004, 06:05 PM

I hunt ohio to ,last year my buddy seen 50 plus deer ,i seen ...from my stand maybe 6 didnt get one last year first time in 10 years and this year starts out i seen no deer from my stand and my buddy killed a doe on the second day ,so i feel your pain.... gotta stick with it and keep hunting ,cant kill deer from the couch so i'll be out there.