Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Enough KE for Mechanicals.

Old 10-11-2004, 08:43 PM

Default Enough KE for Mechanicals.

I introduced my BIL to archery a few years ago and this year he got into hunting. He is down in Ohio and Im in Michigan so I can not see the bow in person for a setup. I have to trust him to do it right.
He is shooting a PSE Nova at 43# he is shooting a Cabela's Carbon Hunter Arrow at 26" and a 75 grain Muzzy mechanical. I am wondering if the KE is high enough to open these tips. The Total arrow weight is 335 grains. I dont shoot mechanicals so I never have had to figure this all out. Anyone able to lend a hand on this to make sure this kid has a chance of recovering his first deer.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Enough KE for Mechanicals.

Well shooting a bow with a 25/26" draw and 43lbs I don't think he has enough KE for most mechanicals. There are a couple that would work, but a quality fixed blade head would be the best bet. Something like a magnus stinger, or one of the smaller fixed blade heads like the 75 grn muzzy( muzzy does not make a mechanical head) which he may already be using if your post is accurate. Other heads would be a wasp boss bullet, sonic, razorcap or other heads along these lines.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would adamently be against him using mechanical heads. His setup is just too light which I'm sure makes his KE minimal. The rule of thumb I've always seen/ read/ researched is that it takes a minimal of 45 ft lbs of KE for whitetail sized animals and 55 ft lbs of KE for elk sized animals....and when mechanicals first came out many manufactureres recommended a minimal of 55 ft lbs of KE for mechanical users....I'd be surprised if your friends bow is even close. I'm not degrading his setup but would highly recommend a fixed blade head for this bowhunter and even more, a two blade cut to tip blade. Like 5Shot said, Muzzy does not make a mechanical head so we're assuming your talking about Muzzy's 75 grain fixed head....not a bad choice.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:48 AM

Just to get an idea on his setup, my old 50 lb 26" bow put out 32 ke. That isn't enough ke for deer.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

Since you guys seem to be kicking some knowledge, I have a question:
My bow is quite powerful and I have no problems with accuracy out past 40 yards. If I choose to shoot mechanicals because they give better flight at long distances, at which point do they not have sufficient KE to open and efficiently penetrate a deer/moose/Bear?
My signature gives the details of my setup.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

StealthyOne, what is your KE out of the bow? If you don't know that, give us your arrow weight including head and the speed of said arrow and there are online charts and programs that will give you your KE out of the bow and then calculate your KE down range....or at least approx.

Ps. just because you know you are accurate out past 40 yards on still targets, deer are not still and can move a whole body length when jumping the string....consider that..it's just a point when shooting at long ranges....I've been shooting competition for too many years to count...I can twelve a target at 50 yards but wouldn't consider it on live deer...too many variables for live animals like deer.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

I have yet to have to shoot or shoot at a deer more than about 15 yards away. I was just basically wondering, in case I get the opportunity to hunt moose again. I wouldn't think twice to draw on a moose at 40 yards, unless I was in a brushy area. Guess I will mess around the with the numbers later and figure it out for myself.