Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Didn't get a shot off...but I'm so pumped!

Old 10-09-2004, 08:18 PM

Default Didn't get a shot off...but I'm so pumped!

ok this isn't a success story or 'see my deer i got tonight', but I'm so pumped.

the other two years i've gotten to hunt it's always been rifle only, and deer at 100 yards, 125 yards, which is great, don't get me wrong. BUT this year is the first for bowhunting, starting this weekend.

Set my blind right, can only afford one right now, and got this lease late so not alot of time to prep prior to this weekend. So with the wind ALL wrong for the blind, I got into a thick scrabble of mesquite wtih a couple of shooting lanes and just sat on a stool. So...nothing this morning, but heard turkey gobbles most of the AM. Then had to get home to babysit my future hunting buddy ( my daughter rocks too)

anyway get back out at 3, and do the same thing with the wind really really swirling. At 6 pm this doe just BOUNDS up, past the feeder, and starts down a little side trail and hits the brakes staring right at me! I just freeze, totally high pucker factor! several seconds seh stamps and bounds around my right, and I can't move my bow she's staring the whole way and stops DOWNWIND, darnit. A few seconds she 'wheezes' and takes off...didn't see another one before it got too dark to see my pins, but that ROCKED>

I sound 12 not 37, but now I see what everyone was saying about bowhunting being much harder, at the same time a much more intense experience. ok ok ok ok it was a longneced doe and not 12 points, but I can see what Uncle Ted Nugent and M.R. James and everyone on this boards says about bowhunting!

Sorry for the long post, my wife keeps rolling her eyes at me and I had to tell someone! I gotta get to walmart and buy some scentaway stuff and things to make the scent eliminator!

Ken B
North Texas
Old 10-09-2004, 08:59 PM

Default RE: Didn't get a shot off...but I'm so pumped!

You're definately hooked now!! Theres nothing like bowhunting
Old 10-09-2004, 09:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

KenB!

There's no better way to hunt than to bowhunt in my eye's .Ten years ago I' wouldn't even consider bowhunting ,but once I tried it I was hooked .Bowhunting is a greater challenge ,getting deer closer and the use of scent's and scent elimination ,using the wind to an advantage and so and so on .I've not used my rifle or shot gun for deer or moose in 5 yrs now ,I just can't get the bow out of my hand's ,every experience out is a learning session and a new challenge it just keep's you thinking of new strategies all the time whether your experienced or new to the sport .
Bowhunting is top's in my book's and I'll be bowhunting for the rest of my life as long as I'm able to hunt.

nubo
Old 10-10-2004, 12:26 AM
Fork Horn

Welcome to the Hood,as in Robin Hood. Bow hunting is one of the most exciting,agravating,thrilling,depressing,rewarding ,humbling experiences you can have.You're hooked now,warn the wife there is only one cure GO BOWHUNTING
Old 10-10-2004, 12:44 AM

Great experience. It does involve a lot more patience and skill. Even when you manage to bring in the big bucks, it's not always a guarantee that you will pull a shot off. In my opinion, this all make bowhunting a lot more exciting. Since now you got a taste of the fever, goodluck with the rest of the season.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:06 AM

You got me so excited Ken B, i almost forget what its like to trully experience this great sport we all enjoy = ROCK ON!!