Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ALWAYS USE YOUR FULL BODY HARNESS, EVEN WHEN CLIMBING!!

Old 10-11-2004, 01:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: ALWAYS USE YOUR FULL BODY HARNESS, EVEN WHEN CLIMBING!!

JRSOWER...ok again I ask..I have one of those very vests. I wear it while up in stand, but i don't know how to use it while climbing?? DO you just loosen the strap around the tree and slide it up with ya??
Old 10-11-2004, 06:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

VC1111 posted a link for a rope ascender device at campmor.com.
Thanks for posting the link to this device. I have some other
questions about the use of it. I'm assuming you take this device with you to
each stand and attach it and unattach it to the rope each time.
Correct?

What about the rope that you have tied to each stand/tree? What type
of rope? Diameter? What is rope made out of? Where is the best place
to purchase this type of rope? Does anyone have an online source for this as
well?
Yes, you carry the ascender with you. (It fits in the palm of your hand and weighs next to nothing; very quiet to use).

The rope can be either "dynamic" (which stretches or "gives" a little if you fall) or static; both are extremely strong. The size you want is 11 millimeter rope. 12 mm will also work. The rope is made of sythetics and is extremely strong stuff.

I'll post a source for the rope very soon.

Let me recap:

You hang your stand, then tie a rope above the stand and let it hang to the ground. When you get down, tie the rope around the tree at the base about waist high.

To use:

Put your full body harness on. Attach the ascender to the rope. Clip your harness tag line to the ascender with a caribiner and climb up and hunt.

When you are ready to come down you simply allow the ascender to slide down the rope as you're climbing down by using the "release" it has on it. Sounds complicated; it is not; it is extremely simple to use.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can feel for you man I myself have had a hard week. My prayers are with Richard for as long as he may need them. I hope to god that he can come out of this and make it back to hunt with us again. God Bless!!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2004, 07:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...ite=DDI%20link

This is one of several places online to buy the rope in bulk.

You can also buy it in smaller quantities from certain mountaineering shops or shops that carry climbing gear and equipment. You'll note that it is rated for a gazzillion pounds.

I hope that at least of few of you guys try it. It may save you from a serious injury.

I can't tell you how comforting it is knowing that if you fall while climbing into or out of your fixed position stand...you won't fall very far.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here's what a caribiner looks like:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...erf&hasJS=true
Old 10-13-2004, 03:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

vc1111 The more I think about your idea the more I like it. It would make hang on stands safer to use, after all if I am not mistake most falls happen when climbing in and out of the stand. I will have to look into it.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:16 AM

ORIGINAL: Badatta2d

JRSOWER...ok again I ask..I have one of those very vests. I wear it while up in stand, but i don't know how to use it while climbing?? DO you just loosen the strap around the tree and slide it up with ya??
well, I gotta tell you, I'm not sure. As of yet I put the vest on, climb my tree, then secure it to the trunk when I'm up there. I know this isn't the best, but there are some circumstances that make it difficult in the tree I'm hunting in to use it while climbing.

But yes, I watched the DVD that came with my vest just yesterday and that's how you would do it. You put the strap around the tree but keep it loose and slide it up as you climb. When you get up there, then you tighten it down. It's cumbersome, but it works.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:06 AM
Typical Buck

Yes, attach the strap as soon as you get in the climber and loosen it up. Move it up the tree and then move your climber. Loosen the strap again and move it higher, then move your climber. Repeat until you are at your desired height. Reverse the order to descend.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:35 AM

Thanks for sharing this 5Shot. It's a great reminder that things can and on occasion do go wrong. I sinceraly hope Mr. Moffat recovers fully and quickly. He and his family will be in my thoughts.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:27 AM

The method VC1111 describes is very simple to set up and use. I read an article a few months ago (Field & Stream, I believe) about setting up this very same safety system. The only difference is that this article used the Prusik knot to attach your harness to the rope (for you Summit users, the Prusik is the looped knot that you attach the harness to on their SOP). But I agree with VC1111 that the ascender would be a better way to go. The Prusik works well if you keep an eye on it and make sure that it stays tight and it works best when the rope is dry. Ever notice how that knot slides down your rope & won't stay put when you're hunting in the rain?

Here's another link for those looking to purchase rope, carabiners, ascenders, etc. WT Sherrill Arborist Supply They're an arborist supply company so they carry all sorts of tree climbing gear, tree cutting & trimming gear, etc.

Quick Reply: ALWAYS USE YOUR FULL BODY HARNESS, EVEN WHEN CLIMBING!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.