Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ALWAYS USE YOUR FULL BODY HARNESS, EVEN WHEN CLIMBING!!

Old 10-10-2004, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: ALWAYS USE YOUR FULL BODY HARNESS, EVEN WHEN CLIMBING!!

Here's a photo of the Rope Man Ascender. It fits in the palm of your hand, weighs almost nothing. So simple to use, your 4 year old could do it. Also very very cheap when the cost is compared to the purchase of a wheelchair.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226

You simply clip your full-body harness to the ascender, which is attached to the rope, climb up and hunt. You will never worry about hitting the ground again.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:37 AM

Default What kind of stand?

I just bought a Lone Wolf last year and am using it every single time I go out. What model was your friends? The hand climber or the sit and climb? That's a little disconcerting to hear about.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:55 AM

Default RE: What kind of stand?

5 Shot - on what board did you find this post? I would like to read more about this. It would be interesting to know what the point of failure was. Lone Wolf stands have two straps that connect the base to the upper part, so its a bit puzzling how the base wound up on the ground.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Derag2

I have a friend of mine fell while climbing in his stand and he ripped one of his boys off if you know what i mean so i am kinda skiddish when climbing up into my stand

Did anyone else make this face [&o] when they read this? Just the thought of it makes me sick to my stomach.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

Good advice 5shot, and my prayers are with him. Bhunter32.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't own a harness and I am not going to buy or use one. I'm smart enough to keep my big @$$ on the ground, where I belong. [8D]
Old 10-10-2004, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

man that is horrible....
the other day i got about 2 steps up before i lost the bottom , the straps were way to big for my feet(i borrowed a friend's summit). thank God i could slip my feet in between the bars safely...my sister was was her way out and stopped by, i only climbed about 8 feet, then put my safety harness on...she gave me a mouthful...after i told her what happened... thoughts and prayers go out to your buddy, i'm glad you were there for him...
Old 10-10-2004, 05:50 PM

very very soorry to hear about your friend hope he gets well soon.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a link to the original story
http://www.tndeer.com/cgi-bin/ultima...;f=22;t=005768
Old 10-11-2004, 05:39 AM
Typical Buck

After watching the news on Christopher Reeves this morning, it reminded me as to how ones life can change instantly. His death got my wife and I talking about such injuries and the risk with stand hunting. I explained to her that I invested in a high quality harness (Seat of the Pants) and use it religously. I still find myself in situations where it is difficult to use until I get into the tree. For example, this weekend, I found a stout pine tree with many limbs, so I jumped upward and pulled myself up, climbing one branch at a time until i was 21 feet up. I then connected the harness before settling down on a limb.

The "ascender" referenced above may be similar to the model sold by Seat of the Pants. I forget their name, but it is basically a long rope with a sliding Prusiac knot used by rock and mountain climbers. The Prusiac knot slides up and down the rope (which needs to be afixed top and bottom of the tree) allowing you to be connected all the way up and down. I purchased this system for one of my lock on stands that is downright scarey to climb. I was not comfortable going up this tree without being attached at all times. It is a hairy climb but a good spot.

Quick Reply: ALWAYS USE YOUR FULL BODY HARNESS, EVEN WHEN CLIMBING!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.