Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ascending the tree with climbing sticks

Old 10-08-2004, 05:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default Ascending the tree with climbing sticks

Hello
This may not be the correct spot to post this, but here goes.
I started hunting with lone wolf climbing sticks this year. I thought someone may know the best way to ascend the tree with the sticks.
I realize the bottom section can be done from the ground level. How do you attach the second, third and possibly fourth without coming back to the ground? I have been hunting for years with sky hook steps or hang on steps where once I start up the tree I continue up until the point I take the tree stand from my back to hang it. The other evening I found myself hanging one stick, then coming back to the ground for the next and so forth, which is really a pain when you try to keep your safety belt fastened to the tree during the process. I just thought there has to be a better method. Any suggestions may shorten my period of trial and error.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Happy Hunting
Dan
Old 10-08-2004, 09:08 AM
etw

Default RE: Ascending the tree with climbing sticks

STICK all the pieces together on the ground, lean the assembled ladder against the tree, tie as high as you can while still on the ground then climb the ladder a few steps until you can reach the next tie off point. You should have your stand tied to your "pull-up" rope. The stand on the ground, the pull-up tied to your pant belt loop. When you get to the top of your ladder, pull up your stand (you should have your safety belt secured). With your feet on the ladder and your safety belt holding your upper body you can easily attach your hang-on. My preference of hang-on stands is the Cabela's E-Z hang. I keep the hang on bracket in my big military style side pocket on my pants. When I get up there I'm just dealing with a couple pounds of bracket rather than the entire weight of the stand. I chain on the bracket then pull up the stand and slide it into the bracket, than adjust the stand into one of the three slots depending on the angle of the tree to bring the stand level. Pretty easy. Reverse the process when taking the stand then ladder down.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:13 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the reply etw, but the lone wolf sticks are seperate three foot sections and can't be tied together like a ladder stick.
Dan
Old 10-10-2004, 11:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Your right, wrong forum. Should have been placed in the Bowhunting forum to receive optimal responses......

Invite a friend, g/f, wife, child along to assist you. It's great company and someone on the ground for your retrieving rope is a great asset. Last stand I hung I had my g/f along to share the experience. We both had a good time and it made hanging the stand much easier. While up the climbing sticks she'd attach the next one and once in the stand she attached my pruning sticks to cut branches etc....That's about your only option other than climbing back down each time.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

The second one you take with you after attaching the first. For the others, tie your hoist rope to it/them and attach the other end to your belt. When ready for the next section, pull it up.

Them sticks are nice aren't they? I have a set of the gorillas.