Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hitting deer in nonvital area

Old 10-06-2004, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default hitting deer in nonvital area

Has anyone ever hit a deer in a nonvital area? For example leg or shoulder. If this does happen what should you do?
Old 10-06-2004, 09:41 PM

Default RE: hitting deer in nonvital area

I've had a couple unfortunate shots hit the no-mans land between the spine and the top of the lungs. The first one I trailed thinking it was a lung shot and ofcourse didnt find it and the last time it happened I gave the deer an hour or so and took up the blood trail just hoping I may have hit an artery or something important. After a couple hundred yards I lost the blood and I assume the deer just had a backache for a while. Btw- the first time I saw the deer out of the same blind just a couple days later. That time he came in looking for what hit him the other night and busted me before I even knew he was there.