Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

lost blood trail

Old 10-05-2004, 06:36 PM

Default RE: lost blood trail

We are having a hard time finding it the blood trail ended but with no deer in sight we looked in a complet circle we are sure its down we cant find blood it ran in a circle. The deal is that its down we can't find it. It lost at least a pint of blood which i belive is enough to take down a person.

And to rbohunter we found out what happened to mine it was a miss we found the arrow in the dirt thanks to positive members[:-]. This is to help not hurt. We started bowhunting by are selfs so this is how i get hunting smarts.

and to others thanks and have a safe season.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

i feel your pain i hit one tonight tracked her for like 400yds she just dripped drops the whole way not much 2 follow than she just quit looked for 2hrs tryin 2 find blood again made circles got 4 more people we didnt find anything. I just hope she survivies. The heartaches of bowhunting.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

primetime........a pint of blood is not enough to drop a human let alone a whitetail. You said there was a ton of blood. Did the blood trail slowly peter out or did it end abruuptly? You may want to check to see that she did not double back on you. Were there any pools of blood where she may have laid down? If legal in your area a dog is a great help. They have found me deer when I never would have found them............dabow
Old 10-06-2004, 05:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well I am glad your 1st one turned out to be a miss, I did not see the update.
It is tough going at it on your own, but there is TONS of info available on this sight, the tracking thread especially. Please read it again, even if you've already done so, there is a lot there.
Blood on the ground is VERY decieving as to how much is actually there. Remember a blood spot on a leaf is quite thin.
Sometimes harsh words are neccessary to get a point across. If a person makes mistakes but gets nothing other than "aw its ok, it happens to everyone just go try again" the person may never have it sink in that what they are doing needs changed. Sometimes having it told to you point blank makes you realize that its not always ok, and you need to figure something out to keep from making the same mistakes over and over. I sure don't want you to keep losing deer, I want you to get information and use your brain to apply it to your situations.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

It lost at least a pint of blood which i belive is enough to take down a person.
Not even close to enough.

Look at water sources and grid search.

I think you need a little more education, here are a few good books. One is on tracking dogs, but there is a lot of good info on wounded deer. The other is a must read.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

http://www.born-to-track.com/book/order-info.htm
Old 10-06-2004, 08:06 AM

rybohunter...tough, but all to true...
Old 10-06-2004, 08:26 AM

If the bolld trail ended abruptly the deer may have bleed out. Last season I put a double lung hit on a deer and it only went 75 yards and crashed but because it got out of sight and when I started tracking it was dark I couldn't just walk up and grab him. I tracked him to last blood and was stumped. After another 45 minutes of seaching I found him with in 30 feet of last blood burried in little thicket of spruce trees. He appears to have bleed out and got a couple last leaps in before crashing into the thicket.

Stick with it. look near water and look straight ahead. If he was hit good he should be close by. Good luck!
Old 10-06-2004, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Adams, I am curious as to what type of blade you were using.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:41 AM

I was using a Satelite 3 blade TNT mag. I've tried to find more but I'm not sure if they had been discontinued or what. They were the best flying heads I have shot and they put a heck of a hole on a deer. Every once in a while I see someon ebay but I'm hesitant to buy what might amount to crap. This year I'm shooting muzzy 125g 3 balde heads.

I miss the satelites though
Old 10-06-2004, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Every once in a while I see someon ebay but I'm hesitant to buy what might amount to crap.
Make sure to check the sellers reviews. I bought some real nice stuff there.

The reason I asked is because I had similar circumstances but with 2 bladed heads on a few deer. The difference was that I had virtually no blood to follow on double lunged deer. I shot one of them at dusk and I thought I heard her go down but I was not 100%. I waited about an hour before looking for her (with a friend), It was a passthrough but no blood. It took us about an hour to find her and she only went about 50 yards from the shot, clearly double lunged.

Quick Reply: lost blood trail

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.