Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Drew Blood In PA... ***PICS***

Old 10-05-2004, 08:58 AM

Default Drew Blood In PA... ***PICS***

Well guys, everything came together last night. Here is the story.....

I got set up in my stand at about 3:45p.m. as it doesn't get dark till after 7:00p.m. Well, the temp was dropping, which was a good thing, but the wind was blowing hard (20 mph or more)! I was set-up about 16 feet up in a Hickory Tree overlooking and old logging trail in the woods. There is bedding areas to my left, behind me, and straigth in front of me. To my right there is a trail leading to a golden rod field. Well, the day was slow until about 5:45p.m. when I picked up my grunt call and made a few bleats and as soon as I finished I had a button buck walk in. He stopped right under my stand and smelled my tow rope and looked right up at me. He looked for a second, then just casually walked away. At about 6:25p.m. I saw a deer at the edge of the golden rod field and he entered into the woods. He was a nice little basket rack 8 point about 13" wide. He walked into about 45 yards and then skirted out around me, he needs another couple years though. Well, at about 6:55p.m. I decided to get down out of my stand and go meet my sisters boyfriend that I had set up in one of my other stands. He has never hunted these woods so I figured that I would go over there before it got dark. Well, I lowered my bow down to the ground and started to un-buckle my safety harness when I had a weird feeling to look up at the golden rod field. Well, low and behold there was two doe standing up there about 60 yards from me. I sat back down and pulled my bow up, took my quiver off, nocked and arrow, put my release on, and took the bino's off my neck all the while, this doe is walking right down towards me. She got into about 25 yards and turned to go through the thick brush. I stood up and when I did, she turned again and walked into my major shooting lane and stopped broadside at about 8 yards. I drew back and put my 20 yard pin on her and slowly squeezed the trigger. The hit was perfect, it was a little high but right behind the shoulder. She took off and I tried to listen for her to crash, but the wind was blowing and I couldn't hear anything but limbs and leaves blowing in the wind. Well, I got down and snuck out of the woods the opposite way and went to get my sisters boyfriend. We then headed around to the dirt road and got on the 2-way radio and talked to my sister (I always leave one of my 2-way radios at home and turned on just in case). I told her to bring us over some flash lights! We waited for her to get there and then went to look for her. I found my arrow soaked in bright red blood with bubbles all over it. We started tracking her and the blood trail was terrible. She was putting off drops of blood every 5 feet or so. It made the track job a challenege. I was starting to get worried at about 20 yards into when the blood started getting further and further apart. I kept at it and went another 5 yards. I stopped and looked up the trail she was on to see if it vered off anywhere and there she was, just a few yards in front of me. She hadn't even made it 30 yards from where I shot her. My ASAT camo amazed as this deer was close and I wasn't very high up in the tree. She just stood there while I drew back and aimed on her (and I even had my light on my site turned on). She never had a clue that I was there. I didn't weigh her, but she was a big old doe!

Well, here is the pic..... I finally broke in the Liberty in a good way

Old 10-05-2004, 09:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Drew Blood In PA... ***PICS***

Nice doe.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on your doe!!
Old 10-05-2004, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats !
Old 10-05-2004, 09:19 AM
Typical Buck

Nice deer! Looking to do the same after work tonight.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:23 AM

Wow she really pumped herself full of air. When you stuck your knife into her did she go wooosh? I'll never forget my first bow kill. she blew up like a baloon and when I stuck her with my knife she back fired in my face. Pheew!

Congrats on a geart looking doe!
Old 10-05-2004, 09:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congratulations Buck Magnet, that is a great photo and your right, she's one big doe. Now, be true to your username....
Old 10-05-2004, 09:44 AM

Nice Deer Buck Margnet, glad to see the liberty finally scored. But I have one problem, according to the game commission legal hunting hours chart, you shot this deer after legal hunting hours. You can check it out in your book. Not trying to stir up problems, just wanted to let you know, I know it is not something people pay alot of attention to. Just wanted to bring it to everyones attention, make sure you check that chart in your digest, because the legal hunting hours change every few days. And we all know there are those wardens out there that love to use regulations like this to make a few more bucks for the game commission.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats and that is a good pic!!!!
Old 10-05-2004, 09:53 AM

Nice job on a nice sized Doe. Congrats.

Quick Reply: Drew Blood In PA... ***PICS***

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.