Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Coulda zapped one..but still a productive night

Old 10-04-2004, 06:14 PM

Default Coulda zapped one..but still a productive night

Well, i got out yesterday afternoon, as i've been real busy with school and football and allthat, so it was the second time this season. Had a nice little 8 pointer stop at an apple tree in the neighbors pasture, and i had him broadside at 15 yards with his head turned facing away from me. it was really tempting, but i know of at least 2 bucks that will go P&Y if not B&C so im going to hold out until december. was pretty cool to put the pin on him and he never knew i was there. Also, was the first time i've ever witnessed a buck working a rub. had some racoons and possums scamper through too...it was pretty neat, teh coon climbed the apple tree and shook a couple apples down to the others below. I got out scouting too during the afternoon before i got on stand, and i cut a set of size 15 hoof prints that can only belong to one buck and one buck only...Oh, BTW, papers hvae been finalized and all that stuff, we bought 60 acres about 3/4 of a mile from my house...app. 45 to 50 acrs woods, with lots of deer, not sure on teh size of the bucks, but im going to scout it one of these nites and get some stands hung saturday afternooon, maybe try and take a doe out of there.

slayer
Old 10-04-2004, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Coulda zapped one..but still a productive night

Its always a good feeling knowing you had one dead to rights and let him walk. I was forced to let a nice one go last week cause hadent earned a buck tag yet. Congrats on the land puchuse been looking for some myself. By the way I shoot a matthews fx @ 70 lb. but use the CX 300 arrows. They shoot great with my setup..............dabow
Old 10-04-2004, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a great night. How did that hand heal up? If I remember correctly (not always the case) you put an arrow thru it. Glad to hear you are able to get out.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:37 AM

Just imagine that 8 pointer next fall.

Have you ever been to the new land yet? If it's 60 acres and only 45-50 woods I think it's in need of a couple of food plots. Give them the protein they need and watch them grow
Old 10-05-2004, 07:56 PM

food really isnt a matter at this new place...10 or 15 acres of alfalfa, beans, and corn. we are probably going to hold onto it for 3 to 5 years.we cut the mature timber and then sell it to someone who will use it for building a house on or hunting...we may hold onto this though..im heading over to scout saturday afternoon. i guess the neighbor doesnt have any cover for bedding or anything so this place is supposed to be loaded, hopefully with a good buck so i can swtich off between taht property and the woods behind the house, so i dont force the big one to go nocturnal.

thanks for asking about the hand, its all healed up. a wicked scar remains, as do carbon splinters. it gives me pain every now and then, but i've got alot of the carbon out with a needle and tweezer. i couldnt believe that when i started shooting again, i was just as good as i was before. good luck yall

slayer